Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Exhaust and Back Pressure?

Hello all.

Been a while since I last posted here, but on the plus side the old girl is slowly on her way to being what I want her to be.

So yes, my question: I'm planning to make a custom stainless exhaust system, including muffler, on my KZN130 Surf, the effect of which would obviously be a decrease in back pressure; can you tell me whether or not the ECU can compensate for this drop in back pressure or will it need manual adjustment? If anybody can enlighten me on this matter, it would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Originally posted by Duck
    Hello all.

Been a while since I last posted here, but on the plus side the old girl is slowly on her way to being what I want her to be.

So yes, my question: I'm planning to make a custom stainless exhaust system, including muffler, on my KZN130 Surf, the effect of which would obviously be a decrease in back pressure; can you tell me whether or not the ECU can compensate for this drop in back pressure or will it need manual adjustment? If anybody can enlighten me on this matter, it would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Back pressure not an issue.

My exhaust has only one muffler (straight through type) and finishes before the rear axle, no problems with extra noise or lack of performance.

Comment

You'd probably give yourself more trouble if you go too large on the diameter of the pipe you use.

Most say going up to 2.5'' dia gives an improvement in response = better flow. I think this goes for both engines.

2.75'' dia pipe is about 20% bigger again (in terms of its area)
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

you will most propably find that any vehicle that has forced induction will work better without any backpressure.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cheers for the replies. I don't usually deal with diesels and am not familiar with the fuel management on the surf. Finding any technical data on the ECU has proved problematic too. Does anybody know whether the ECU will up the fuel input to balance out the increase in air flow created by the loss of backpressure?

Comment

Yep, all of the above correct. Did some research before I fitted mine and back-pressure not an issue. You will get slightly better mpg and power due to engine "breathing" better with a free-flow, besides the nice sound!