Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Head Gasket

Hi All,

We have a 3.0TD on an 'L' plate. We've been informed by our local garage that the cylinder head gasket has gone (Sniffer test performed).

He also seems to think that there is a 75% chance the head is cracked. This is based on his experience only. Is he right likely? He has quoted £400-750 for a replacment head... not sure if that is new and whether that includes VAT. Does that sound reasonable? He says Surfs are prone for this, but I'm not convinced. He tells me that the head needs removing to even check the compression. I don't know much about diesels but I guess it stands to reason that thre is no sparkplug hole to check

The righthand side of the engine bay is covered in brown stuff, so I think it fair to assume that the the water was released with some violence.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oh right.

You can't test compression with head off. Sounds like its either head gasket if you're lucky or worst case scenario new head needed. Check around on this site for best repairer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mur
      Hi All,

We have a 3.0TD on an 'L' plate. We've been informed by our local garage that the cylinder head gasket has gone (Sniffer test performed).

He also seems to think that there is a 75% chance the head is cracked. This is based on his experience only. Is he right likely? He has quoted £400-750 for a replacment head... not sure if that is new and whether that includes VAT. Does that sound reasonable? He says Surfs are prone for this, but I'm not convinced. He tells me that the head needs removing to even check the compression. I don't know much about diesels but I guess it stands to reason
      that thre is no sparkplug hole to check

The righthand side of the engine bay is covered in brown stuff, so I think it fair to assume that the the water was released with some violence.

Thanks in advance for your help.
      Your mechanic is partly wrong

You can't test compression with head off. Sounds like its either head gasket if you're lucky or worst case scenario new head needed. Check around on this site for best repairer.
      The mechanic is spot on, how would you check the compression without a cylinder head? what your mechanic means is he hasn't got a diesel compression tester, they normally screw into the glow plug hole, trying to compression test a diesel engine with a petrol compression tester will at best result in a rocket propelled tester, at worst the thing can explode! I've seen some do do try it!

£750 for a replacement head sounds fair, mine cost a bit more from stevo, but steveo uses genuine heads and not pattern ones.

3.0ltr surf heads do crack, but not a easily as the older 2.4 ones, if its cracked they normally do it between the valves on number 4 and from the combustion chamber on No3

If gasses are in the cooling system it's a head off job, if the head is cracked it will be obvious, if he claims it is you need to see it (just to be sure)

Get them to replace the thermostat and rad cap at the same time and give the cooling system a good flush out becuase the jap antifreeze and european stuff don't mix too well!

hope all this helps
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Compression test or pressure test?

Originally Posted by Mur

He tells me that the head needs removing to even check the compression.
        He must have been referring to pressure testing the cylinder head to look for cracks.
        How can you perform a compression test with the cylinder head off?

Comment

I am not saying that the mechanic told a little white lie, but don't believe that the'sniffer' test was accurate. I did a head gasket/head crack test a couple of years ago on a Vauxhall cos I thought there was a overheating problem caused by the head, so I had a sniffer test done and guess what, the mechanic told me there was a problem and he would do the job for £750!!

Did the job myself, to include more work and bits than he was gonna do for about £300! After this was done, lo and behold I still had the problem, which in the end was the combination of a faulty new thermostat and a pinched hose !!!!!!

I am just saying make sure that the diagnosis is accurate before you decide to spend a lot of money,

Cheers, Nick
          "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Thanks for your replies... I think I've managed to confuse things. I think the bloke was talking about a pressure test rather than compression test. Not sure what that is, anyway.

I decided not to go ahead with the work. Supposedly there was a hole in the radiator and is was going to cost £300 to re-core. A phone call or two later and I have it down to £135+VAT which is much more palletable. I can't even see an obvious hole but I'll take the advice of the rad guy. I took it off last night. Is that plastic thing around the fan really necessary...? will be a pain to put back!!

I'm not that convinced that the head gasket has gone as the sniffer test is the only evidence. Exhaust fumes look fine, oil filler cap looks okay, no bubbles in the rad. Having said that, I haven't given it a chance to run like that for anything other than a minute or two. When it was brought back from the garage (7 miles) it didn't run hot.

So the plan is is to try to sort out the rad + cap, etc... and look for other signs of the head gasket.

BTW, I've never changed a thermostat before... can anybody provide a picture of where it is located....? Is it obvious how to remove it?

Thanks again in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mur
              Thanks for your replies... I think I've managed to confuse things. I think the bloke was talking about a pressure test rather than compression test. Not sure what that is, anyway.

I decided not to go ahead with the work. Supposedly there was a hole in the radiator and is was going to cost £300 to re-core. A phone call or two later and I have it down to £135+VAT which is much more palletable. I can't even see an obvious hole but I'll take the advice of the rad guy. I took it off last night. Is that plastic thing around the fan really necessary...? will be a pain to put back!!

I'm not that convinced that the head gasket has gone as the sniffer test is the only evidence. Exhaust fumes look fine, oil filler cap looks okay, no bubbles in the rad. Having said that, I haven't given it a chance to run like that for anything other than a minute or two. When it was brought back from the garage (7 miles) it didn't run hot.

So the plan is is to try to sort out the rad + cap, etc... and look for other signs of the head gasket.

BTW, I've never changed a thermostat before... can anybody provide a picture of where it is located....? Is it obvious how to remove it?

Thanks again in advance.

I removed the shroud from around the fan two years ago when I was messing with the viscous assembly. No problems experienced.

To change the thermostat on the 3.0 engine, follow the hose at the bottom of the rad on the drivers side, up onto the side of the engine, the 'stat is behind the alloy housing on the end of the hose. Three bolts or nuts, can't remember.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I got the rad back from recoring and put it all back together. Everything was great for a week until it dropped all its water. It looks like it came from the hose at the bottom of the radiator. I've redone it with 2 jubilee clips instead of the one that I had and will see. I rang my local motor factors for a replacement hose.... not sure if there is anything wrong with the old one, but might as well rule that out. Any clues where I can buy this hose?

Am I right in thinking that this could be caused by a cylinder head gasket having gone...?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

could be an air lock in the system

Comment

horrible to say, but if the head gasket has gone, your mechanic is quite correct, it has most likely cracked the head with it. it sounds to me like your mechy knows what he's talking about. at least he's not looking to fill you full of false hope and rip you off mate.

head prices have just been reduced, so if it has popped it wont be as painful as for some of the guys and gals on here. and then you have an engine that will see you right for many a year
                    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Ian,

Contact Tony at 4x4toys, and get the beast checked out.

Trev
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Mur
                        Thanks for the replies. I got the rad back from recoring and put it all back together. Everything was great for a week until it dropped all its water. It looks like it came from the hose at the bottom of the radiator. I've redone it with 2 jubilee clips instead of the one that I had and will see. I rang my local motor factors for a replacement hose.... not sure if there is anything wrong with the old one, but might as well rule that out. Any clues where I can buy this hose?

Am I right in thinking that this could be caused by a cylinder head gasket having gone...?

Thanks in advance.

Who are you seeing mate, as I come from Stony Stratford???

There is MK Radiators behind the Cock Hotel in Stony. They do a top job on radiators. I replaced mine with a genuine Toyota one for about £380 (I think)

It sounds like a cracked head. I doubt it's your gasket. This happened to me. Buy a genuine part from Stevo for £900. It's delivered to your door in two days, all fitted up with exchange camshaft and has the fitting kit. Buy a new set of intake manifold studs and reuse the exhaust studs as the new head isn't fitted with these.

Replace the head gasket with the same size one that comes off, they come in 5 different factory and 3 different aftersales sizes. This will keep the compression and distance from pistons to head the same.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by M35A2; 17 May 2007, 16:47.

Comment

Working...
                        X