Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd occasionaly noise

Hi all,

Having a few probs with my '93, 3.0 diesel, auto surf at the moment. One thing that is bothering me is a strange creaking noise coming from the engine area occasionally.

It sounds a heating up/cooling down creak but it is quite loud and you only get one creak at a time at random intervals. The noise occurs both when driving and the engine is turned off completely.

I think something is expanding/contracting quite a lot but can't figure it out.

Anyone got any ideas??

Originally posted by jezzer
    Hi all,

Having a few probs with my '93, 3.0 diesel, auto surf at the moment. One thing that is bothering me is a strange creaking noise coming from the engine area occasionally.

It sounds a heating up/cooling down creak but it is quite loud and you only get one creak at a time at random intervals. The noise occurs both when driving and the engine is turned off completely.

Anyone got any ideas??
    hi Jez where abouts are you down here??
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi mate,

Snozzel (or St Austell for those outside of Cornwall).

;-)

Comment

Hi mate,

Snozzel (or St Austell for those outside of Cornwall).

;-)
        I was wondering if it has a air lock or the thermostat is shot.Is the coolant level ok and when was the rad cap and thermostat last changed.
        If you can get to Camborne then i could have a quick look over it if you wanted.You will need to be here by Thursday tho as i am in hospital friday
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi all,

Anyone got any ideas??
          Possibly the heat shield around the turbo.

Comment

Richard,

I think the cooling system is OK. After about 5 mins of driving the temperature gauge moves to about halfway where it stays and has always been since I've had the Surf (approx 4 years). Heaters work fine. I have never changed the rad cap or thermostats. After reading other posts about overheating problems I've always kept an eye on that dial. I occasionally tow a 2 tonne boat and trailer rig between Bodmin and St Austell (17 miles) and up/down a few good hills and the temp gauge never moves!

Thanks very much for your offer of a look. I don't think I'd be able to get there before Thursday. Besides this noise has been going on for a few months so hopefully it's nothing serious....

Vince,

I am kinda thinking the noise is coming from that area, either the turbo or under the rocker cover.

The noise I get is the same as what you would hear if you were to tap the chassis with a small spanner once.

Do you think something may not be quite tight or even cracking?

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

It's probably just normal expanding and contracting noise from either the turbo or exhaust heat shields. Perhaps they are touching slightly when hot (expanded)
              If they were loose they would rattle.

Comment

hi jezzer look out for the skull in n around snozzle if you want to go to storms on thursday im going down to see him in the morning so you can follow me down if you wish m8

Comment

Hi Pirate!

Thanks for the offer mate, really appreciated but I have heavy work commitments this week and won't be able to go anywhere to be honest. (That's what you get for starting up your own business I guess.)

P.S. how many posts do you have to make before you have have your own avatar?

P.P.S. Sure will keep my eye out for ya. I have a dark blue Surf with completely clear indicators.

Comment

Hi Pirate!

Thanks for the offer mate, really appreciated but I have heavy work commitments this week and won't be able to go anywhere to be honest. (That's what you get for starting up your own business I guess.)

P.S. how many posts do you have to make before you have have your own avatar?

P.P.S. Sure will keep my eye out for ya. I have a dark blue Surf with completely clear indicators.
                    hi jezzer i will look out for it when im out n about you def wont miss i was able to use my own avatar i got when i paid membership £10 for the year to help keep the forum running n what a good £10 as now i got like a extended family so it worth paying m8. seen you said you pull a boat do you go sea fishing then? as i normally fish down mevagissey alot. good to see that there is someone in snozzle with a surf seen a few this week about but dont get no surfer waves lol

Comment

Righto, sounds like the £10 is well worth it!

I have a speed boat so I don't really do any fishing in that but we do in my Dads. We go from Par and hack around between Fowey and Meva.

Ya quite a few Surfs round our way, I always give a wave!

Comment

lol yeah m8 had my first surf wave today in snozzle wasnt you was it about 3:30-3:45 just by the tax office

Comment

Working...
                        X