New cylinder head fitted - now knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cylinder head fitted - now knocking

I've just had a new cylinder head and camshaft fitted to my 3.0 TD. Unfortunately the engine has a marked knocking as soon as any load is put on it (not when idling). The mechanic tells me its electrical; to do with the diesel pump timing. He says that's an electrical problem and that I should get someone who knows the electrics of Surfs. Does this sound plausible?

Peter

Originally posted by peter wright
    I've just had a new cylinder head and camshaft fitted to my 3.0 TD. Unfortunately the engine has a marked knocking as soon as any load is put on it (not when idling). The mechanic tells me its electrical; to do with the diesel pump timing. He says that's an electrical problem and that I should get someone who knows the electrics of Surfs. Does this sound plausible?
    Peter

Knocking under load is usually the big end bearings.

But check the pump, crank and camshaft timing marks are all lined up first.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply Vince. It sounds too 'lightweight' for a big-end knock (more like tappets). So I hope you're wrong! The knocking doesn't get any worse if I try to drive against the handbrake.

I will check the timing marks, as you suggest.

Peter

Comment

Peter
        Deffo get the cambelt timing checked, one tooth out WILL cause this.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I've just taken the car back to the mechanic, who had a somewhat desperate look in his eyes! I passed on the intelligence you and Vince supplied, but he said he and another mechanic had checked all this. That's why they are convinced it's electrical (and hence outside their area of expertise).

They want me to take the car away and seek out an electrician who knows about Surfs, but I've told them that the car wasn't making the noise when I brought it in, so it had to be something they've done. (Of course, it doesn't follow they can undo it)

Peter

Comment

I've just taken the car back to the mechanic, who had a somewhat desperate look in his eyes! I passed on the intelligence you and Vince supplied, but he said he and another mechanic had checked all this. That's why they are convinced it's electrical (and hence outside their area of expertise).

They want me to take the car away and seek out an electrician who knows about Surfs, but I've told them that the car wasn't making the noise when I brought it in, so it had to be something they've done. (Of course, it doesn't follow they can undo it)

Peter
            I would go back to them again and insist that they check it with you there. It should not take them long, but i would not leave until they have, tell them is for your piece of mind tell them that the pump has been checked and it is fine. If this dont work offer to reaarange the position of thier knee caps!!
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

AH hah...

Number of possible faults:
              Incorrect head gasket thickness.
              Pump timing retarded...this may cause whitish smoke.
              Could be excessive valve clearance...$$$$py build up procedure.
              Insufficient pre-lube before start up which has now scored camshaft.
              Loose pulley?

If these Erm mechanics keep sending you away why? Maybe they've cocked up and daren't let on.

Hope you get it sorted...who supplied the head ?

Comment

I have the same fault to the letter !

Peter
                I have a 94 3.0 td and fitted a new head have done every check that I can short of stripping the bottom end ( next weekend ) and oil pressure etc mint.
                So next is to remove sump as I'm sure No, 1 big end has run a bearing, I will keep yopu posted as to what I find. PS, any one got an engine? just in case ?

Comment

Working...
                X