Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant Leak --- HELP!!!

Hi,

I am taking my 1994 3.0ltr surf to the alps this weekend and have had no problems with her up until today (typical, I'm leaving at 1:30am on Saturday morning for the 500 mile trip).

I was working on the car a couple of weekends ago and noticed that the expansion tank was a little low on water (only very very slightly), very possible as I hadn't checked it for about 6 months.

This weekend I popped the bonnet to spray a little WD40 around the electrics etc... I noticed that there had been a small explosion of coolant that appeared to have come from the rad cap and splattered over the second battery on the passenger side. I didn't think alot of it as I thought that perhaps I had overfilled the expansion tank and it had just escaped (I'm no mechanic).

When I went outside this morning there was a small puddle of coolant on the drive despite not having driven her since the weekend. I went home at lunchtime and the puddle had gotten bigger so there is a leak somewhere now. I can hear it, I cant see it but it drips every 10 seconds or so and seems to be coming down around the passenger side of the rad, its not coming out of the overflow its dripping onto the sump guard and running of the back of it.

She is going into the garage on Friday for a quick pit stop service (oil change and grease the points etc and check that all is running correctly) I called them just now and they said that I could run it down tomorrow and they can take a look but there may be a problem with getting parts at such short notice.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Temprature needle has never ever gone above the middle of the meter and she runs and starts first time every time and all the power is still there etc...

There appears to be water around the top of the rad and that may be where the leak is, I have not started the car today so its leaking when cold.

I'm very worried now that it could be something serious.

Any ideas what i should ask the garage to check or replace to try and solve the problem, she never had a new rad cap since I've owned her (just over a year).

If it turns out that it is a leak in the rad how good is the rad seal stuff that i have heard about and would my surf be ok to do the long trip if I keep an eye on the temp and water level?

Any help would be appreciated.

Simon

it does sound like a rad leak to me although I guess it could be anywhere.
    if it is dont bother with radseal on a trip like yours. parts are easy to get next day or it might even be able to be repaired.

anyway i doubt its anything serious, probably a hose or the rad got a hole in it - good job you noticed.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
    X