Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack

Hi lads
    Surf passed MOT today but was advised that the rack is moving side to side when the steering wheel is moved.
    Was invited down into the pit to see, and where the rack is bolted to the frame it appears to move approx half inch left to right when steering wheel is rocked can anyone say if this is normal or are there rubber bushes to be replaced somewhere....

You need one of these.....

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=172&vid=921

Its a pretty common MOT failure on older or high milage 3rd gens.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      You need one of these.....

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=172&vid=921

Its a pretty common MOT failure on older or high milage 3rd gens.

Nice one tony thanks will order

Comment

Hi,

I have the same problem as you. Have you fitted the urethane kit yet? Did you find a link to a manual entry? Any pitfalls? It's this weekends job for me along with three brake pipes!

Comment

Originally posted by waveydavey00
          Hi,

I have the same problem as you. Have you fitted the urethane kit yet? Did you find a link to a manual entry? Any pitfalls? It's this weekends job for me along with three brake pipes!
          I have had a urethane kit from Rough Traxs fitted....did the job just perfectly.

Took me a couple of hours, but then I had the use of a ramp. I wouldn't like to of done the job crawling underneath.

Comment

Yep - urethane kit did the trick. I have done all the other bits and pieces for the MOT now, but it failed on the steering rack end joint. I am in the process of fitting a rough trax replacement.

HOWEVER - once the boot is peeled back it reveals a nice clean well greased joint. The play seems to be coming frommt eh rack itself. Can they be adjusted and if so how?

It's the 96 3rd gen 3.0 td BTW.

Any help urgently required as I need to be back on the road by Tuesday and it's not looking too good!

Comment

Working...
            X