Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car not moving according to revs ?

hi,
    im new to forums but i have a problem and i am desprate to get it fixed so i will try anything.Basically i just bought a 93 surf 3.0 L ssr g automatic , when i accelarate the revs are high but the car does not move accordingly to the revs, it is a very powerfull engine and im not expecting it to shift but it realy isnt moving accordingly to revs although this is not that bad ide like to get to the bottom of this sibce thisis my first automatic 4x4 im not sure if this is normal any ideas ?

any help whould be great thanks

thanking you in advance

When the engine is hot, just after a drive, select park (P), leave the engine running and check the transmission fluid level.(orange dipstick)
    The level should be in the 'hot' section on the dipstick, and it should also be a red wine colour, not brown.

Comment

have you tryed putting it in drive

Comment

Is the Overdrive [O/D Off] light showing on the dash as this allows the engine revs to stay higher a little longer. Generally the O/D light should be off and hence te O/D on.
        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
          Is the Overdrive [O/D Off] light showing on the dash as this allows the engine revs to stay higher a little longer. Generally the O/D light should be off and hence te O/D on.
          O/D off would knock out the top gear. You're thinking of ECT.

I'm presuming from the original post that the problem is like the clutch slipping on a manual i.e. a bit more severe than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho

I'm presuming from the original post that the problem is like the clutch slipping on a manual i.e. a bit more severe than that.

Yeah, low or knackered fluid!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho

nope, re-reading the initial quote still thinkin of the O/D [ie not moving as fast as the revs indicate!]. Revs will be higher. ECT is the electronic controlled transmission [and used like the "sports" button - loose terminology]
              Gaz

Comment

Does it move as fast as the speedo says? I would judge by this method.

Comment

Yes as mentioned its fluid or lack of, had an old Sierra that blew gearbox oil seal on way to Weymouth once, knew when it was time to put more in as had lots of revs and not much go usually whilst entering a roundabout. Chucked another bottle in and was away again.

Steve
                  Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Originally posted by Esamed
                    Yes as mentioned its fluid or lack of, had an old Sierra that blew gearbox oil seal on way to Weymouth once, knew when it was time to put more in as had lots of revs and not much go usually whilst entering a roundabout. Chucked another bottle in and was away again.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I was begining to think I was typing with invisible ink!!!

Comment

Just a thought on this one but I don't suppose he had it in L4 by any chance?
                      Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                        Just a thought on this one but I don't suppose he had it in L4 by any chance?
                        Good call!!!
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Without a proper description, everything is a guess. What exactly constitutes high revs? As Vince said, it may just be your ATF fluid, but a slightly more precise description of the problem would be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                          X