Replacing head 1996 mod 3rd gen 3.0 tdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing head 1996 mod 3rd gen 3.0 tdi

Iv just had my new head back complete ready for fitting (all new gaskets & belts etc ) once fitted should i be on the lookout for any known or other problems after refit what can i do to prevent the head cracking again please advise many thanks.
    Last edited by welshsurf; 4 January 2007, 21:29.

I guess this is obvious, but you'll need to be absolutely sure that the cooling system is in good condition - rad, rad hoses, thermostat, coolant, rad cap, viscous fan coupling, no spilts in the pipe from near the rad cap to the expansion tank, no splits in the pipe inside the exp. tank etc. Hope this helps. Oh and make sure all the glow plugs get fitted back in the correct way otherwise you'll just keep blowing the fuse!
    Last edited by Rob; 4 January 2007, 22:13.

Comment

If you don't have the coolant pipes to the throttle body, there are rubber blanking caps on the fittings. (one on the head, and one below it on the block) These have been known to perish and leak water.

Apart from that, its just normally cooling systems checks, ie, waterpump, leaks around rad or hoses, etc that caused it to lose water and overheat in the first place. Often its the headgasket which failed, which you'll replace anyway doing the head.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
      X