'tightness' when turning on full lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'tightness' when turning on full lock

I mentioned about my problematic ADD in another thread but dont know if this is related.....

Drove to the local ASDA (5mins away) with the 4wd switch engaged but the 4wd dash indicator kept flashing all the way. HOWEVER, did notice a 'tightness' in the drivetrain or something when making sharp turns (to park) with the switch on. 'Tightness' dissapeared after I turned the switch off.

WHATS THAT ABOUT?
    Is it normal?
    Am I heading towards an expensive repair bill?

Apologies in advance for the novice questions.

Ash
    ash-ssrg

if the road surface was dry then sounds as though you are "winding up" the drive train, four wheel drive should only be used on loose or slippery surfaces. keep mine in two wheel drive for most of the time, except when playing.
    if you have a 2nd gen surf they do not have a diff between front and rear axles thats why it starts to feel "stiff". hope no damage done
    cheers johnno
    15 years in shiny club, lovely

Comment

have you checked the power steering fluid levels
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

ITS A 3RD GEN
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

had the same problem with mine a few days ago lights kept flashing on the dash and would not go into 4wd and all the steering went tight almost like it wanted to keep going in a straight line.the way i sorted it out was by pushing the 4wd button about 50 times to free up what ever was jammed and now all works well and goes in and out of 4wd with no tightness what so ever.there are times in life when somthing tight is very welcome but just glad in this case it's been sorted
          I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

I wish we could get this sorted once and for all, because I am new to all this.
            Can you or can you not drive a 3rd gen on the road in four wheel drive i.e. with the button on the gear selector pressed in because I have had exactly the same symptoms tight drivetrain on full lock while the light is still flashing.
            I am going to try Kiowa’s 50 presses trick tomorrow see if that sorts it.

Comment

Originally posted by div3r
              I wish we could get this sorted once and for all, because I am new to all this.
              Can you or can you not drive a 3rd gen on the road in four wheel drive

Yes you can, but not with the diff locked.

Comment

Am I right in saying the diff is locked when you have four greens and a central orange light? (not flashing)

Comment

Originally posted by div3r
                  Am I right in saying the diff is locked when you have four greens and a central orange light? (not flashing)

Not sure, as I don't have a 3rd gen.

Have a read of this, copied from Morrs website.....

3rd Gen: The 3rd Gen Surf has a multi-mode 4wd system.
                  It may be used in 2wd Hi-ratio, driven by the rear wheels only, 4wd Hi-ratio with an open centre differential. 4wd Hi-ratio with the centre differential locked and 4wd Lo-Ratio with the centre differential locked.

H2: Rear wheel drive only: Normal operation, best for less wear & tear on components, best fuel economy & performance.
                  H4: 4 wheels driven, open centre differential: Press red button on side of 4wd selector. 4 wheel Indicator will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 100Kph. May be used anytime extra traction is desired
                  H4L: 4 wheels driven, centre differential locked: Move 4wd-selector lever fully back (position of button on side not important), 4 wheel Indicator and centre diff light will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 5Kph. Must only be used on loose surfaces such as mud, snow etc.
                  L4L: 4 wheels driven, centre differential locked, Lo-Ratio engaged: 4 wheel Indicator and centre diff light will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. Select neutral on main gearbox, move 4wd selector-lever fully back, push to the right and then forwards.

Comment

Cheers
                    That explains how it works quite well, basically if you move the four-wheel drive selector/lever from H2 H4 you need to be on the slippery stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X