Turbo Leak???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Leak???

Hi Guys, my 3.0 diesel 4 runner has developed quite a leak from the drivers side of the engine, it looks like it may be coming from around the turbo! Its beneath the exhaust, so i cant see clearly from the top and the bash plate obscures the view from below, (i know next job take off the bash plate) If it is the turbo leaking whats the prognosis? At the moment i dont have any strange noises from the turbo but i am a little concerned.

Cheers Guys
    THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

External oil leaks could be the oil feed and return that goes into the turbo from underneath it.

If the Turbo seals are gone it'd smoke, if oil is pooling before the turbo in the intake and seeping through the pipe connection it could be crankcase pressure problem.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      External oil leaks could be the oil feed and return that goes into the turbo from underneath it.

If the Turbo seals are gone it'd smoke, if oil is pooling before the turbo in the intake and seeping through the pipe connection it could be crankcase pressure problem.
      Hi Tony, its not smoking at all, and the intake pipe looks dry, What is the oil feed and return made from? is it rubber or mixed - part rubber sections and part metalsections?

Comment

I think the 3.0 is all metal, it takes oil in a small pipe further back on the block, then a fat conveluted return pipe goes back into the block. I'd check for leaks each end and were it goes into the turbo. Its a bugger to see, a diff mount hides it from underneath, you want to remove the oil filter cutout and look in from the wheel well.

I've known the 2.4's to vibrate themselves a split in the pipe joints.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          I've known the 2.4's to vibrate themselves a split in the pipe joints.
          Thanks Tony ill have a closer look at that probably at the weekend, the vibration symptom sounds like a distinct possibility as the air cleaner case has a mystery broken mounting! Where it mounts to the bulkhead

wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
          X