rear brake prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake prob

I have a recurring problem with the rear brakes on my 1996 Surf.The rear wheel (offside) had a brake drum oil seal replaced for the MOT as it was leaking,ever since then the brakes have been binding and there seems to be a spray of oil on the underside of the Surf and a smell of burning.The binding gets progressively worse and eventually results in brake failure(but still binding coz the wheel is red hot).I took it back to the garage to have this prob repaired,was told that a spring had come off within the brake assembly and this caused the brakes to "self adjust" tighter everytime I used the brakes,the spring was subsequently fixed.All was well for 2 or 3 days,but now the problem is back,spoke to the garage on the phone,they now reckon a blocked breather could be the cause of the problem causing pressure to build and oil to be forced through the seal and contaminate the brakes.What do you guys and gals think could be the problem?Cheers.
    Powered by ????

Originally posted by RobD
    I have a recurring problem with the rear brakes on my 1996 Surf.The rear wheel (offside) had a brake drum oil seal replaced for the MOT as it was leaking,ever since then the brakes have been binding and there seems to be a spray of oil on the underside of the Surf and a smell of burning.The binding gets progressively worse and eventually results in brake failure(but still binding coz the wheel is red hot).I took it back to the garage to have this prob repaired,was told that a spring had come off within the brake assembly and this caused the brakes to "self adjust" tighter everytime I used the brakes,the spring was subsequently fixed.All was well for 2 or 3 days,but now the problem is back,spoke to the garage on the phone,they now reckon a blocked breather could be the cause of the problem causing pressure to build and oil to be forced through the seal and contaminate the brakes.What do you guys and gals think could be the problem?Cheers.
    They could also be taking b******s, I would first check that they havent overfilled the axle. stand the car on level ground and remove the level plug, it is the one about half way up the diff. If the diff is overfilled it puts more pressure on the seal, they could also have damaged the seal in fitting it.

It seemes like the brakes could have been over adjusted that would cause the binding and the burning smell.

They should really remove the drum and check that oil is not leaking into the drum.
    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

The KZN185 has a history of rear axle seal problems. Check the Aussie KZN185 forum. There shouild be some info there.

Nev

Comment

I had the same problem on my 96surf changed the drums over and problem solved put the left drum on the right and vise verser. there is are many reasons why the brake shoes bind but the change over fixed it for me

Comment

as far as oils seals go.. never had them fail on me and then again its very easy to over fill a rear diff especailly using a pump. what happend is the pump keeps pumping from the nozzle into the diff and keeps pumping and pumping and the pressure from the pump keeps it in and not leak as it is suppose to from the fill hole. some mechanics with the "she will be alright" attitude will just put the cap on then a few weeks later presto you have a leaking seal

Comment

They replaced the seal but forgot to back off the handbrake adjustment,so brakes are still binding,taking it to a proper garage (Toyota Dealer) tomorrow to get the job done properly.Wont be taking it back to the previous lot,fukkin assholes have cost me a fortune in lost time!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
              They replaced the seal but forgot to back off the handbrake adjustment,so brakes are still binding,taking it to a proper garage (Toyota Dealer) tomorrow to get the job done properly.Wont be taking it back to the previous lot,fukkin assholes have cost me a fortune in lost time!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Hate to say it bt I have posted regarding the handbrake HAS to be backed off before any adjustment is made to the brakes on here a few times . It is the same for all vehicles , not just Surfs .Any reputable mechanic would know this as basic brake procedure when learning the trade .
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                Hate to say it bt I have posted regarding the handbrake HAS to be backed off before any adjustment is made to the brakes on here a few times . It is the same for all vehicles , not just Surfs .Any reputable mechanic would know this as basic brake procedure when learning the trade .
                I don't think they have learned the trade m8,took it to Toyota dealer today,one of the wheel cylinders is leaking,the previous lot didn't even spot it!Goes back in next week to have it replaced.