Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much oil????

Afternoon all

Did the oil & filter change this weekend (in readines for trip to France on Thursday)
    According to manual , I shouild put 8L of new 10w/40 semi synth in. Did this & now I have a bit of a leak from the "overflow" pipe that picks up the dribbles when you undo the old filter. It's not much (probably about enough to cover a fiver) but I'm worried.

Have I put in too much (some seem to think 7.7L is enough) & if so, do I just drain off the surplus and have I done any damage . Dipstick does show over the full mark but not by much

Anyone any ideas

ta

hawaii
    I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

If the filter is done up tight enough, then any oil dripping out of the filter catch area is just left over from undoing the filter.

Don't worry about amounts to much, if more important that the levels on the dipstick is correct.

You will never get as much oil in as when filling a new dry engine, a surprising amount will still be in the oilways and around the engine if if you let it drain all day.

Start it up till the oil pressure guage regesters, then switch it off and leave it for 15mins or so, then check the level on the dipstick.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony - put my mind at rest that done no damage.

Just got back from 3 1/2 weeks in South of France towing the caravan 2784 miles round trip and no probs - WHAT A TRUCK!!!

Cheers

hawaii
      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Same problem, too much oil. Autodata says the volume is 8.0 l with filter. I drained 7.5 l, started the engine and check it. Over 1 cm too much.

I drained the old oil about 15 min, change the filter... What´s wrong, is the oil volume something else than 8.0 liter?

Comment

Originally posted by -MaTTi-
          Same problem, too much oil. Autodata says the volume is 8.0 l with filter. I drained 7.5 l, started the engine and check it. Over 1 cm too much.

I drained the old oil about 15 min, change the filter... What´s wrong, is the oil volume something else than 8.0 liter?
          i over filled mine the first time i changed it as i went off autodata which was about 8ltrs.
          When ever i change it now i run the engine warm then drain off and leave dripping while i get off the oil filter, fuel filter and air filter. then pre fill the new filter with new oil 3 or 4 times.
          Then refit sump plug and filters the top up with 6ltrs of new oil. leave to settle then check on dipstick. I found it useually takes approx 6.2 to 6.5ltrs. then when up to the full mark on the dip stick i run up to opperating temp and then park it up. When cold the following morning i recheck the dip stick level and top up if needed.
          BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Quote:

When ever i change it now i run the engine warm then drain off and leave dripping while i get off the oil filter, fuel filter and air filter. then pre fill the new filter with new oil 3 or 4 times.

Just wondered why you pre fill the filter when it has to be turned upside down to fit it. Don't you loose most of it? Am I being a bit thick?

I always do this on a filter that fits upright but never on an inverted one. Oil pressure always registers within a second or two of running and I believe there is always sufficient oil residue in the engine to lubricate for that amount of time.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
              Quote:

Just wondered why you pre fill the filter when it has to be turned upside down to fit it. Don't you loose most of it? Am I being a bit thick?

I always do this on a filter that fits upright but never on an inverted one. Oil pressure always registers within a second or two of running and I believe there is always sufficient oil residue in the engine to lubricate for that amount of time.
              The filter will take a while to become saturated before allowing full flow of oil to pass through. If the filter is upright then i will fill it full but if inverted i will drain some out till its about 1/2 full. you will only loose a teaspoon or so and if your waste oil catcher is underneath the it will just run down the drain tube.
              Its good practice to always pre fill your filters.
              BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Working...
              X