What's tread separation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's tread separation?

I'm told that even if I get my wheels balanced they will still vibrate because of 'tread separation' and this will damage my transmission. Any truth here ...?

Thanks,
    Keith
    where's this bit go then?

Originally posted by osker
    I'm told that even if I get my wheels balanced they will still vibrate because of 'tread separation' and this will damage my transmission. Any truth here ...?

Thanks,
    Keith
    The layers that make up the flat tread can seperate over time or abuse, they come 'unglued' as it where, and lift up. When you rotate the tyre, you can see a high spot if its bad enough. So the tyre is oval (exaggerated of course) It'll produce a annoying vibration, technically it put strain on the drivetrain, but in the real world you'll have to leave it on a long time to damage anything, the vibes will annoy you to much before then.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks! So would this 'ovaling' be the reason why, at slow speed the truck seems to sway from side to side...

Comment

Originally posted by osker
        Thanks! So would this 'ovaling' be the reason why, at slow speed the truck seems to sway from side to side...
        Bingo.

Some of the bigger gnarlier offroad tyres will 'flatspot' if left unused for a few days, my Boggers did it over night!! You need to put a few miles on them and warm them up to get them round again.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Great info! Thanks. Sounds like I may be buying new boots (Ouch££!)

Cheers, Keith

Comment

Working...
          X