Is this a heated fuel filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a heated fuel filter?

Is this a heated fuel filter? I have wires at the top of the filter but maybe these are to do with the sensor that tells me I have water in the filter... Can enyone tell me if it is a heated fuel filter?
    Attached Files
    1996 3rd generation surf

Yup, it is. The wires for the water level come out next to the tap at the bottem of the filter.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

That's great. Looks like I am going to stop making biodiesel and try running on a mix of veg oil / diesel

Does the filter heat up the fuel all year round or is there a thermostat built in (or manual switch somewhere)

Thanks for the info
      1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

It has a vacuum switch - that activates when diesel fuel viscous, usually when pretty cold.
        So when fuel is struggling to go through filter, the vacuum switch would be triggered and heater would come on.

I have same filter and run on veg.
        I fitted an over-ride manual button, and LED on dash to figure out whether its on or not.
        I also have a thermostatic switch tied onto fuel cat.
        The switch is a normally on type. and cuts off at 40 degC. So when coolant heats fuel cat to 40 deg, it cuts power to heated filter.
        this happens in about 3 miles driving at this time of year
        and 4-5 miles in winter.

I got LED's and switch from maplin
        and mail ordered the thermoswitch from RS electronics

see here for my waffle and pics on subject:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...=heated+filter
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Excellent Andy - thanks for that. Good link to your write up. Most of my journeys are <5 miles so I am going to run on a 50/50 mix and fuel line heaters won't really help if I go for a higher ratio of Veg oil. Nice to know that I have the heated filter if I get the mix wrong in winter..
          1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

I suppose you could still fit manual override switch. Before i fitted the themoswitch, i used to have the manual switch on for first 5-10 mins of journey.

however, you now know if mixture very visocous and thick, the heater will kick in anyway and help it flow through filter
            but all this assumes vacuum switch in working order!

they can apparently be bench tested
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

hi mate ,does the heater just keep heating up or has it a max working temp ,i only ask because like most people that have switchs on the dash they run the risk of leaving them on much the same as a fog light .

Comment

i guess it just keeps heating.
                i have an LED on dash that shows when its on
                Landcruiser Colorado
                Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
                X