Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish after head replacement.. ??

Hi All,

Well, it's a bit of a saga, but here goes...

Bought a 1998 SSR-G auto back in August last year, got about 2000 very enjoyable miles out of it before the head gasket went. Its a 3.0L Turbo with Intercooler.

Took it to bits, sent head off to be skimmed and tested, only to be told it was cracked

Bought a new head, rebuilt it, fitted new gasket, head bolts, etc. All as per the workshop manual... also did air filter, oil filter, and timing belt. I have a new fuel filter, but haven't fitted it just yet..

Finally got it completed and running again... but...

It feels to me as if the turbo simply is not coming in at all.. she runs very smoothly and in 30 miles of test driving she didn't use (or lose) a drop of oil or coolant. She ticks along very nicely at a steady 120kph at her normal 2400rpm. She's not smoking at all.

But the acceleration seems to be way off. She pulls well but not spectacularly from the off, then seems to run out of puff before reaching the change-up point on the auto box. (Tried both ect and non ect setting on the auto box).

I have a '96 manual that I am using day to day, and it feels a whole lot more powerful through the range.

So, my thoughts are as follows:

Have I missed a connection or sensor, or connected a vacuum pipe incorrectly ? (The workshop manual for the engine didn't cover the intercooler at all).

Is it simply that the car hasn't been run for 5 months ? (It did seem to be getting better as the test drive progressed).

How can I tell if my turbo is running properly ?

Could it be fuel starvation, and if so what should I check and in what order.

All help, and suggestions gratefully received.

S.
    Last edited by saltheart; 24 April 2006, 15:10. Reason: Adding info

Anyone ?

Comment

all the clever people are at work.........
      I tried a search using vacuum. This thread looks possible help.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ghlight=vacuum

Hope you get sorted.

Comment

It tricky, everyone will tell you to check the vacuum lines and sensor connection, but you've probably done that.

There isn't much info for intercooled models, I don't know any extra plumbing they have fitted (if any?) Your best bet is post some pics and compare it with someone else's.

Try pulling the fault codes to get a clue, any discrepancy between boost pressure and rpm should show up as a fault and may point you towards whats not working properly.

Change the fuel filter, junk may have settled in and blocked it.

drip redex or similar down the intake (just a little, or it'll knock like hell!! ) and tip some down the fuel line from the filter to give the pump and injectors a clean.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by saltheart
          Hi All,

Well, it's a bit of a saga, but here goes...

Bought a 1998 SSR-G auto back in August last year, got about 2000 very enjoyable miles out of it before the head gasket went. Its a 3.0L Turbo with Intercooler.

Took it to bits, sent head off to be skimmed and tested, only to be told it was cracked

Bought a new head, rebuilt it, fitted new gasket, head bolts, etc. All as per the workshop manual... also did air filter, oil filter, and timing belt. I have a new fuel filter, but haven't fitted it just yet..

Finally got it completed and running again... but...

It feels to me as if the turbo simply is not coming in at all.. she runs very smoothly and in 30 miles of test driving she didn't use (or lose) a drop of oil or coolant. She ticks along very nicely at a steady 120kph at her normal 2400rpm. She's not smoking at all.

But the acceleration seems to be way off. She pulls well but not spectacularly from the off, then seems to run out of puff before reaching the change-up point on the auto box. (Tried both ect and non ect setting on the auto box).

I have a '96 manual that I am using day to day, and it feels a whole lot more powerful through the range.
          Mine is a 96 second gen 3.0 manual with the same symptoms as you describe, I did the repair myself and put the symptoms down to the fuel pump being slightly out after the rebuild an dnew cam belt, but didnt have the nerve to try adjusting the pump timing!
          THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Thanks all

Will try the suggestions and let you know the upshot

Comment

Working...
            X