Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW Surf Owner - Please Help Me Out

Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased my first surf and I am VERY excited about it. I was hoping to get some help on a few issues that I have been reading about.

My model is:

1995 KZN130 3.0 Litre Diesel 5 Speed SSR-X Limited

Questions:

1) I have read a few posts related to problems with the 5 Speed transmission, can someone elaborate or let me know if there is a link or any detailed instructions on how to correctly modify this? Is this a common issue or simply a rash of bad vehicles?

2) I have read about 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen models.....Which is it that I have and what are the Pros and Cons of this generation?

3) Are there any other issues related to this model or the Surf line, in general, that I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help and I hope to have many years of SURF FUN ahead!!!

Welcome to the forum mate.

There are no special issues with the 3.0L Surfs as far as I know (being a 2.4L owner). The first and second gens share their chassis with the Hilux Pickup. The 3rd Gens share the Toyota Landcruiser Prado chassis and running gear.

I am sure the 3rd Gen clan will be along to advise. Enjoy the new purchase.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

KZN130 is AFAIK a 2nd Gen 3 litre, so based on the Hilux running gear. Doesn't have the centre diff of the 3rd Gen, so you can't use 4wd on the road.
      Comes with the same grin, tho'!
      Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

KZN130 is a 2nd Generation
        KZN185 is the 3rd Gen

2nd gens don't have a centre diff so do not use 4wd on tarmac...the wheels need to give [can use 4wd on ice, sand, mud etc] otherwise you will end up with 'wind-up' and big bills to correct a knackered transmission.

2nd Gens also have the tailgate that flips down after the window is withdrawn whereas the 3rd gens are more like an estate [tailgate lifts up and a little more leg room inside]

Not heard or had problems with the transmission on mine to-date and its been used daily, pulling a horse trailer and off-roading.

There have been some problems with heads going [but I only heard of 3 to-date] , mainly 2.4 due to design issues.

largest tyre size without rubbing is the 31x10.5/15 [any mnore and its a lift of the body]

Starter Contacts might be a problem...seem to be a flux of 3.0's require their starter contacts need replacing [easy job and aout 1-2hrs work]

just keep using the search engine
        Gaz

Comment

Working...
        X