intermittent s$$$$ing noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittent s$$$$ing noise

It all started with the snow and ice at Christmas, I drove out of the estate and turned a sharp right hand turn and the s$$$$ing noise started from the passenger side front wheel. I thought it was just some snow and ice build up and after a while it stopped. The last lot of snow we had it came back again but this time it hasn't gone away with the snow like last time. It's still intermittent, usually starts with a sharp right hand turn and the odd speed bump and then by going over another bump it stops.

I've had a look and can't see/feel anything loose but I'm not entirely sure what to look for so I took it to a garage round the corner from work and they took it out for a test (twice) and sods law it never made the noise for them. They had a look underneath (apparently) but couldn't find what it was.

So, my usual question on this forum - any advice / ideas anyone?

why does s$$$$ing appear with loads of $'s?

Valve on the tyre, or through a knackered rim ??
    Heater Matrix leaking ???
    Something to do with the turbo on way out??

Power Steering

try here for self-diagnosis:
    http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...arameters=info
    Last edited by Gizmo; 28 March 2006, 20:33.
    Gaz

Comment

Are your disc pads low, could be the metal s$$$$ers touching the disc.

Comment

Play in the wheel bearing?

Comment

Hhhmmm well I suspect it's something to do with the brakes but braking doesn't seem to make any difference, it's like something is loose and when I make a sharp turn to the right or go over a bump at a certain angle it's as though something moves onto the hub or disc perhaps and then it will continue to s c r a p e until I go over another bump (I usually aim for one once it starts) and then it stops. How do I check the bearings? Pull wheel from side to side or from the top or somewhere? Should there be any movement at all?

I think Gizmo you misunderstood my s c r a p e-ing noise as squeeking or something else, for some reason when I type s c r a p e-ing it appears with loads of $ signs in it. I suspect it must be down to anti swearing is it? c r a p? The autozone troubleshooting link looks like it might be handy in the future though - thanks. although it probably won't stop me from asking questions on here!

Comment

Raise the wheel off the ground a grab top and bottom and push/pull.
            If play evident, remove domed dust cap in the centre of the wheel, bend the tabs on the washer flat and tighten the big nut just enough to take up the play in the bearing.

Comment

Thanks again for the tip Bushwacker. There's a few things I can go at now. I think I'll have a closer look at the brakes too as suggested by Andy.

Cheers!

Comment

If you find nothing after checking your brakes and bearings do a search on "bronze bushes"; I had very similar symptoms and wear in the bushes was the cause.

Comment

Last time I had something which sounded exactly like the noise you're describing it turned out to be a stone chip caught between the disk and the shield behind it.
                  Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Going to have a good look this weekend hopefully.

I'll post back.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Sorry it's been so long, I 've had PC problems, a huge list of DIY jobs and a new baby to contend with! I said I'd post back so here it is:-

It was just the pads after all. I didn't think it was as the noise didn't seem to alter when applying the brakes but there you go, pads it was.

Comment

Working...
                      X