Harsh/shakey ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harsh/shakey ride

I am now a proud owner of a 3rd gen surf '96 reg, I am reasonably happy with the vehicle, the only thing letting it down is the harsh ride quality, especially in 2wd, I am not sure if this is me not being used to a more off road style of 4x4. big heavy wheels and all that!

The whole thing settles down a bit in 4wd, on any other vehicle i would have thought the dampers were shot?? In 2wd if the road has a continuous ripple (ie on an uphill section of dual carrageway where the lorries have messed the surface) the vehicle looses its sense direction Nothing i havn't managed to correct with relative ease, but when the missus drives it she's not so happy

The vehilce has been checked over, and given the all clear, by 4x4toys, but i guess dampers are not easily checked unless removed

Grateful for any comments

Paul

Could be tyres. what make are they? Are they the same tyres that were on it when imported?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Could be tyres. what make are they? Are they the same tyres that were on it when imported?
      Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately the missus uses the truck for work so I can't check at the moment, will check tonight and report, I know its on O.Z alloys but thats about it.

Paul

Comment

You're welcome to compare the ride with our 1997 3rd Gen as we are Basingstoke-ish too!!
        Mind you, if Tony has checked it out I can't see there being much wrong with it.
        PM or email me with a 'phone number if you want to do a comparison.
        Keith

Comment

yeah, i'd go with the tyre thing..if its a fresh import, i'd kinda suspect they were dunlop grand-trek ? maybe way out there, but thats what mine came with..within three months, i'd got flat spots and distortion on three of them.they were replaced, with japanese market dunlop grand-trek..they stayed in shape, but the handling was dismal...now i've done the sensible thing, and gone for bf goodrick mud terrain, 31's..and they are brilliant..made the world of difference....of course, it could be your dampers.."can't see an appropiate smiley icon to show the remark was tongue in cheek".

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

Its got Bridgestone Dualer's A/T fitted at the moment, they seem in reasonable condition with 7-8mm tread depth left

Paul

Comment

Have a read here and make your own conclusions.
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...estone+duelers

Comment

My 3rd gen did that 'loose sense of direction' thing when one of my front shocks was knackered. Usually did it when driving over continuous bumps / potholes, which was kinda scarey on country roads with trees, hedges and ditches around!

Comment

Working...
                X