A word to the wise if your rear window jams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A word to the wise if your rear window jams

My rear window packed up around christmas. Since I don't use it a great deal, it's cold and I have a storage unit in the back making access really difficult, I decided I'd wait for warmer weather and better light before fixing it.

I found out yesterday that one of my brake lights has blown. No problem, I even carry spares in the truck - but unless you can drop the tailgate, you can't take out the lamp cluster retaining bolts, and you can't drop the tailgate if you can't get the glass down.

Oh poo.....

Well, I replaced the rear window motor last night.
    Bit of a pig but that was mainly due to the cramped space.

I'd expected it to be the toothed gear on the motor that interconnects to the regulator but actually somthing inside the motor has broken. You can hear the motor spin, but the gear dosn't turn.

Took about 2 hours, an 8mm spanner, a can of WD40 and a whole load of bad language.

I'm not impressed with the quality of these motors. They are only cast alu and they don't even tap the mounting holes so it's best to do that using the mouting bolts from the old motor first. It's also very easy to overtighten the mouting bolts.
    Also, not enough room to get a socket around the back so had to use a spanner so it took longer. Still, it is possible to do without removing the regulator assembly which saved several hours I think.

Anyway. re-lubed the window slides and it all works great now.

If anybody needs a duff motor BUT that has that metal gear intact let me know and it's yours - could save you £130...

Joe

Comment

you fellas need to learn the art of bodge!!
      I have told a bunch of people on here the easy way to do this. Simply pull off the motor cover while in place. Fire aself tapping screw (about 1/2" long) right through the two 'biscuit' halves of the gear. job done. 100 quid saved.
      this works when your motor is making a noise, but not operating. Its because the rubber innards between the biscuits has sheared. its worked on mine and two other lads with the same problem. Its hard being this good.

Comment

could you show on this pic what you mean by a screw in the biscuits. ? lol.

Comment

I currently have this problem, A diagram would be nice.

Lee

Comment

There's so many things to go wrong you need to nail down the problem, can you hear the motor? are the relays clicking? is the regulator skipping, etc etc.

I've just spent the last 2 hours on Linda's truck finding two small breaks in the wiring loom from the door to the ECU, that has stopped it working from the key for about 2 years!! Now it works great.

Last week I had to repair a motor that had worn the motor casing where the spindle goes through it, so the gear wasn't meshing on the regulator properly.

Week before was a ECU that needed new relays.

Rear door window woes are lots of fun, good job its looks so cool, or it would be a PITA!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by kcsl
              Also, not enough room to get a socket around the back so had to use a spanner so it took longer. Still, it is possible to do without removing the regulator assembly which saved several hours I think.

Joe
              IMHO its far easier to remove the whole regulator and do it on the bench.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Some photos for your perusal!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by blacksurf
                  you fellas need to learn the art of bodge!!
                  I have told a bunch of people on here the easy way to do this. Simply pull off the motor cover while in place. Fire aself tapping screw (about 1/2" long) right through the two 'biscuit' halves of the gear. job done. 100 quid saved.
                  this works when your motor is making a noise, but not operating. Its because the rubber innards between the biscuits has sheared. its worked on mine and two other lads with the same problem. Its hard being this good.

Is there any chance of a picture of the screw in place? im dont want stick the screw where it isnt wanted.. anyone have a picture?

my guess is here, under this cap.. shown in red.

Ted
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ted; 16 April 2006, 10:27.

Comment

Originally posted by kcsl
                    Also, not enough room to get a socket around the back so had to use a spanner so it took longer.

Joe
                    Never heard of ratchet spanners! LOL
                    Now I Have Grown Up, I Need A Grown Up Tonker Toy!

Comment

Originally posted by Toad
                      Never heard of ratchet spanners! LOL
                      I have, and I had some, but not that small...

The situation has now been rectified.

Comment

Working...
                      X