Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel consumption

Evening all
    Can anyone tell me what sort of fuel consumption you get on a 3.0 TD Hilux surf on the open road?
    I'm thinking about getting one but would like to have an idea as to what the running costs will be!
    Thanks
    David

Fuel Economy depends on how much open road driving you will do.
    Personally I get 500Km per tank.

This is made up by approx 50/50 local road and motorway driving.
    I know I can get better fuel economy if I was just going up and down the motorway at reasonable speed as when I go to France I aim to have about half a tank of fuel for the journey out and I have just under the half tank when I get back fully laden having filled up in Calais saving a few bob.

Will you tow with your Surf?
    Again towing on minor roads is costly but if you travel distance by motorway or similar roads then you will find the surf uses little extra fuel.

Hope this helps

regards

Steve

Comment

On five tankfulls of fuel that I have checked, the average has been just over 20mpg. This is a mix of local driving, open road and at times being driven like its stolen!
      I think the 3rd Gens tend to return better mpg, say late twenties.
      If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

Comment

My 2nd gen returns around 25mpg combined town and country driving. I am normally quit gentle with the accellerator but it has seen the wrong side of 90mph from time to time down my favourite road in the sticks........

Its a heavy old truck running dated technology so mpg is never going to be great but its still a great truck.
        Cheers

Simon

MPG? Don't you mean GPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon811
          My 2nd gen returns around 25mpg combined town and country driving. I am normally quit gentle with the accellerator but it has seen the wrong side of 90mph from time to time down my favourite road in the sticks........

Its a heavy old truck running dated technology so mpg is never going to be great but its still a great truck.

my 3lt works out to be about the same 25mpg combined
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I once monitored my Surf over a period of NINE MONTHS and 12,000Km noting EXACTLY how much diesel went in and EXACTLY how far the car had travelled. If your driving style is anything like mine you'll get about 24.56mpg. On motorways you may hit 28mpg. I did a fair amount of offroading in that time as well.

ps You can't get a meaningfull average mpg figure from one tank of fuel or one journey!!

Comment

In my 2.4 I was getting around 245km on £40
              Now I have had my 3.0 I put £50 in when I picked it up, done 150miles
              Still got half a tank in!

Happy as a bunny in a carot factory!
              Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

Being a sad old git, I keep accurate fuel consumption records on a spreadsheet for all our current and last three or four vehicles. My Surf (3.0L 2nd Gen diesel auto) has a "since bought" average of 22.6mpg over the last two years, being used for M-way journeys, round town and towing a 1350kgs caravan. My best mpg is 29, on a slowish solo run to S. London in 2004 and the worst is 17.9 towing the caravan to S. Wales last year, with two bikes on the roofbars as well.

However, my previous towcar/general runabout was a manual petrol Volvo 940 2.3T estate, which had a "total ownership" average of 22.8mpg. The Surf is almost half a ton heavier, a more stable towcar and heaps more fun to drive than the Volvo, although it doesn't have the added safety and comfort factors that come as standard with the Volvo, and yet the Surf is only marginally worse in overall economy (and could be run on veg oil if Gordon "Dick Turpin" Brown would relax the duty charge on green fuels).

If you need economy, then buy a small diesel runabout like my wife's Corsa 1.7DT. If you want fun and a good, usually reliable (don't consider a 2.4L unless it has the modified head) off-roader then go for the Surf. You won't (hopefully) regret it. I haven't.
                Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                  I once monitored my Surf over a period of NINE MONTHS and 12,000Km noting EXACTLY how much diesel went in and EXACTLY how far the car had travelled. If your driving style is anything like mine you'll get about 24.56mpg. On motorways you may hit 28mpg. I did a fair amount of offroading in that time as well.

ps You can't get a meaningfull average mpg figure from one tank of fuel or one journey!!
                  I would agree with these figures, as they are almost identical to my own, with the exception of offroading. I haven't done any.
                  Cheers
                  Trev D.

Comment

Originally posted by Djandco
                    In my 2.4 I was getting around 245km on £40
                    Now I have had my 3.0 I put £50 in when I picked it up, done 150miles
                    Still got half a tank in!

Happy as a bunny in a carot factory!
                    Funny thing though - the second half tankfull NEVER seems to go as far as the first half.......
                    Cheers
                    Trev D.

Comment

Originally posted by trevdowle
                      Funny thing though - the second half tankfull NEVER seems to go as far as the first half.......
                      so true!!!
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                        so true!!!
                        this may be due to the old disease of

concretefootnowharddownduetobe ingusedtomotornowletsseewhatsh ewilldoitis

its a medical fact you know lol lol lol lol
                        at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy
                          this may be due to the old disease of

concretefootnowharddownduetobe ingusedtomotornowletsseewhatsh ewilldoitis

its a medical fact you know lol lol lol lol
                          TAKE A BREATH!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trevdowle
                            Funny you should mention that,
                            the fact that I now have a 0-60 time, instead of a 0-60 possibility.
                            And not letting the boy racers get their way.
                            And spinning the ar$e end round on roundabouts.

But always driving 5mph below the speed limit
                            And safe cautious driving.

The second halfa tank didn't last too long.

Wonder why?

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.

I kitesurf most weekends and am looking for a substantial diesel truck to head off to the beach and so on that will fit all my gear (lots of).
                              Most of my driving will be motorway and I wont be towing anything.

I could just about live with 25mpg but anything less is a bit beyond the pale.
                              I guess though with veggie oil it will be a fair bit cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X