Glow plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow plugs

My Surfs getting a bit lumpy to start in the mornings (sounds like it's running on two or three cylinders for a few seconds with loads of grey smoke) is it likely that the glow plugs need replacing? Can you tell from inspection if they are knackered or not?

Anyone know the difference between Milners (£13) and Roughtrax (£30) glowplugs?

Anyone know the difference between Milners (£13) and Roughtrax (£30) glowplugs?[/QUOTE]

£17?...........sorry but the forum has been down
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work

Anyone know the difference between Milners (£13) and Roughtrax (£30) glowplugs?
      Roughtrax glowplugs will last more the 12 months.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

As my father would say its cheaper to replace the part once! You get what you pay for!!

Comment

I've just ordered some glow plugs from Milners and I thought £13 each was expensive - Sheesh! So if Milners last about 2 months how long do the Roughtrax ones last?

The glow plugs already in mine are just starting to need replacing I think, usually it starts fine but sometimes it takes a few goes, probably when it's colder. I was considering keeping them in for a bit longer yet but just keep them on standby, when I saw the price of them (from Milners!). I'm obviously a tight git!

Comment

Have you tried leaving the ignition on longer before starting the engine?
            Get in truck,switch on ignition,put on seat belt, check hair in mirror then start. Should be enough to start first time, if not suspect glowplugs are knackered.

p.s. if you've no hair to check, just count to five!

Comment

So do the glowplugs heat up for as long as the ignition is turned on or do they just heat for as long as the glowplug light stays on? Sometimes I just turn the ignition on and off a few times as the glowplug light goes on and off but if they heat for as long as the ignition is on then perhaps this is wasted effort?

Comment

They stay on longer than the light, turn the ignition on, once the light goes out, hang on till you here the relay click off, this will give to longest glow plug heating. Then do it again if its cold.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the tip

Comment

Working...
                  X