rear window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window

when i got my surf the rear window would go up and down useing interier switch but only went up useing key and not down. now it will not go up or down useing key but it still works fine useing interier switch.
    any idea's lads.

ps have stopped trying to put pics on site it says my pic size is to big

Originally posted by sketty
    when i got my surf the rear window would go up and down useing interier switch but only went up useing key and not down. now it will not go up or down useing key but it still works fine useing interier switch.
    any idea's lads.

probably some bad wiring on the switch in the tailgate... Take the carrpet off the tailgate, remove the 6 or so screws holding the metal plate on and you should be able to see the problem

if you email me the pics i'll post them for you jthomas@jodrellfinance.co.uk
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

any idea's lads.

I have a similar intermitant fault which I have now nailed down to a broken wire in the harness between the tailgate and the chassis (i.e. broken by fatigue). Curiosly- now I know what the problem is- I can now operate the window with the keyswitch by kneeling down and waggling the bunch wires under the car with one hand while turning the key at the same time with the other!!! Must look stupid from a distance though!

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
        I have a similar intermitant fault which I have now nailed down to a broken wire in the harness between the tailgate and the chassis (i.e. broken by fatigue). Curiosly- now I know what the problem is- I can now operate the window with the keyswitch by kneeling down and waggling the bunch wires under the car with one hand while turning the key at the same time with the other!!! Must look stupid from a distance though!
        will check that out. i have just had a new bumper fitted i may have caught the wires

Comment

Have a pop at this M8...a handy little picture re-sizing tool and it's free to download....

>>>Pic Re-Size<<<

Comment

rear window probs

any idea's lads.

Just when I thought everything was fine, I discovered today that I too have a rear window problem. It won't open at all with the key OR with the internal switch. Any clues where the fault may lie that would affect BOTH methods?

cheers

Trev Dowle
            Cheers
            Trev D.

Comment

Originally posted by trevdowle
              Just when I thought everything was fine, I discovered today that I too have a rear window problem. It won't open at all with the key OR with the internal switch. Any clues where the fault may lie that would affect BOTH methods?

cheers

Trev Dowle
              has the window lock button on the drivers door been pressed?
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                has the window lock button on the drivers door been pressed?
                Thanks for the quick reply - but no I checked that. All other windows are working.
                Just add, after reading some of the problems with the rear window. Mine is absolutely DEAD. the is no sound, grinding of gears or anything.

cheers

Trev Dowle
                Cheers
                Trev D.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply - but no I checked that. All other windows are working.
                  Just add, after reading some of the problems with the rear window. Mine is absolutely DEAD. the is no sound, grinding of gears or anything.

cheers

Trev Dowle
                  Listen carefully- can you hear a relay clicking in the back when using the key or the inside switch? If you can- then it's not as dead as all that. I could still hear the controller relay working even though the window won't always move. The controller unit is beside the passenger side rear cubby hole. To access it you'll need to pull away the entire side of plastic panel in the passenger side rear boot. It can be done with the rear door closed (just fold down the seats for more room) and carefully pop it it out. Then you'll be able to access the controller unit and check the connections and rellays. You should also strip down the rear door panel and have a look in there. Remake all the electrical connections and lube up the gears and window sliders while you're in there. As I say - the fault I eventually found was a broken wire between door and controller unit.

Comment

cheers

Trev Dowle
                    Is the rear wiper seated correctly , that also knocks out the switches .
                    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by bensonsnuts
                      Is the rear wiper seated correctly , that also knocks out the switches .
                      Such a simple solution, that I didn't bother to try it until this evening. Then I recalled that I had accidently activated the rear wiper on a dry window (light stalk on other car). As the window was dry I remembered the wiper had dragged a bit. Gave it a squirt on the washers and when the wiper rehoused - guess what? The window worked fine! Thanks for the tip

cheers

Trev Dowle
                      Cheers
                      Trev D.

Comment

If I go to open my rear widow with the key and the wiper is still on the glass, as soon as I turn the key the wiper flicks up into the holder then the window opens!

Comment

Working...
                        X