New rad arrived - what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rad arrived - what now?

New rad arrived today. All the mounts, fittings etc look to be in the right place, but the top and bottom of the rad look to be about 3/4" taller. It's a pattern part from Milners so I assume it's just an updated shape?

OK, now to fitting. As the old rad split, there probably isn't much coolant to drain, however the transmission coolant will be intact.

I was planning on disconnecting those first and plugging the hoses so I dont lose too much tranny coolant.

1) Does this make sense or should I drain and replace?

2) The rad seems to be held in place with 4 bolts. Is there anything else?

3) What about the fan shroud? Seems to just sit on a lip at the top of the rad. Will the rad come out without me removing that?

4) Best place to flush through? Hosepipe down the top hose?

5) Is it really worth changing the stat? I subscribe to the 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' school.

6) What is the transmission coolant capacity? What variety / spec is it?

7) What is the antifreeze capacity? What's the best type to use?

8) Most importantly, how long does the whole operation take? I'll have to take time off work to do it and I'm mad busy, plus weekends are already spoken for until the end of January.

Sorry so many questions but I dont want to get this wrong and the gathered expertise here has helped me to success at changing starter contacts and cambelt.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

pull the bottom hoses off and bung them..i don't mean throw them away, i found some smallish bolts worked well..you probably won't lose enough atf to worry about..whatever you spill you can top up via the dipstick hole..but i doubt it'll be much..

the rad isn't held on by much..just unclip the bottom half of the plastic shroud and it'll lift out, no problem..

if you don't wish to replace the stat, thats fine, but you'll have to pull the old one to flush the block anyway, so for the cost, its just peace of mind..

hosepipe through the top hose was my choice..probably didn't run it as long as some reccomend, but it ran clean..

there is a drain plug on the 3ltr block..personally i didn't use it..

toyota red is the good stuff..reccomended by toyota for their alloy heads and the gaskets, but they would say that wouldn't they? but its pre mixed, so no concearns about water quality etc..

Comment

I need to get a radiator for my truck also, as there is a slight crack in the top tank.

As far as I know (as I haven't done the job yet), you need to unbolt the fan to get the rad out.

It looks like it will come out easier if you drop it out through the bottom.

Coolant needs to be a good quality ethy glycol anti-freeze. Toyota use RED.

To flush the system, have the heater switches to hot. Open the drain plug on the N/S engine block, put the hose pipe in the top hose and flush it through for about 20/30 mins. Re-fill with 50/50 mix. Make sure you use DE-MINERALISED water. You can get 5 gallon drums from a good motorfactors.

I think the capacity is about 11 litres.

Replace the whole coolant, don't leave the old in there.

I reckon the job will take you about half a day. Taking the rad out is the quick bit. It's all the flushing and undoing hoses etc that takes the time.

Hope this helps?

Comment

OK, is the stat a common one or is it special to the 3.0 Surf? Was hoping I could just pick one up from Halfrauds or suchlike.

Where's the drain plug?

[QUOTE=mickey]if you don't wish to replace the stat, thats fine, but you'll have to pull the old one to flush the block anyway, so for the cost, its just peace of mind..

QUOTE]

Comment

Go to a Toyota dealer with your VIN codes ( get these from the plate in the engine bay in the middle on the bulkhead by the rocker cover)

They will be able to order you a genuine Toyota thermostat. Don't bother with pattern parts. There not dear to buy. And you know it will fit.

The drain point is on the passenger side engine block, under the induction manifold. If I remember rightly, it's a 10mm bolt. Just unbolt it. Buy yourself a 1KZ-TE Genuine Toyota Engine manual. This tells you most of the stuff you need to know about the engine system.

Comment

Here you go on the Engine Manual

http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=16&vid=613

Comment

[QUOTE=Apache]OK, is the stat a common one or is it special to the 3.0 Surf? Was hoping I could just pick one up from Halfrauds or suchlike.

Where's the drain plug?

Originally posted by mickey
              if you don't wish to replace the stat, thats fine, but you'll have to pull the old one to flush the block anyway, so for the cost, its just peace of mind..

QUOTE]

ok, there is a diagram somewhere showing the position of the drain plug on the engine block..if memory serves me right, i think its on the passenger side, back towards the bulkhead..probably best to do a search..

regarding the fan, no, you do not have to remove it..just the BOTTOM bit of the plastic shroud..it'll pull straight out of the top of the bag without fouling the fan..it'll drop right back in without problem..

get the thermostat from roughtrax or milner's..mine was from the former, as they also supplied my recon exchange rad.the stat was a toyota part..treat yourself to a new rad cap to get value from the postage cost

Comment

as M35 says..ha ha..hate it when that happens..i'm gonna learn to type quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
                  as M35 says..ha ha..hate it when that happens..i'm gonna learn to type quicker.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I can probably divert to Roughtrax next tuesday on my way to a meeting down the M4 corridor so will get the other bits you mention, and save my postage!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      Thanks for all the advice guys. I can probably divert to Roughtrax next tuesday on my way to a meeting down the M4 corridor so will get the other bits you mention, and save my postage!

Good Luck.

Let me know how it goes, as mine is going to be done shortly.

Comment

By the way, what is it you do exactly, with choppers?

I live near RAF Benson. Merlin base.

Comment

Systems Engineer for MOD. Part of my work is with UK Longbow Apache.

Comment

Radiator Repair

I had to send my Milners one back as leaked within a month. Also was thinner than original. Call Auto Radiators in Slough. Repaired my original for £45.00. 01753 694223 or 07956 137886. Can recommend him.
                            Philip
                            Still Searching,
                            Dick Whittington

Comment

Working...
                            X