Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering problem

94 3.0 surf

Bought needing a head as this was the only way I could afford a 3.0 surf.
    Head job done.
    Having now driven it, I have vague steering and it seems to steer slightly when decelerating. No obvious front end noises. Pump seals changed to fix bad leak but didn't make any difference to steering issue.
    Is there anything that is common on this year of surf to give problems?
    In other words, what should I be looking for?

I have previously had estima's, now have an Explorer which is being replaced by this surf when it has had the bugs fixed on it. Only buy an Explorer if you work for BP or ESSO and get a good staff discount.

Originally posted by Flashgordon
    94 3.0 surf

Head job done.
    Having now driven it, I have vague steering and it seems to steer slightly when decelerating. No obvious front end noises. Pump seals changed to fix bad leak but didn't make any difference to steering issue.

I have previously had estima's, now have an Explorer which is being replaced by this surf when it has had the bugs fixed on it. Only buy an Explorer if you work for BP or ESSO and get a good staff discount.

Usual things like alignment, sticking pistons in brake calipers and so on
    Gaz

Comment

Maybe worn shocks? Does it keep straight when you let go of the steering wheel?

Comment

I drove the surf home 220 miles with the head issue. Every time I over took a lorry on the motorway I had to over compensate to get it staight again, but when driving straight it was ok. It breaks in a straight line with no pull at all to either side.

Comment

First check wheel alignment , but sounds more like worn shocks to me . The standard shocks dont seem to last long , from wot I read on here . My old shocks were shot , but then they were 20 years old !
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Have you checked the steering idler on the passengers side, quite common for them to wear out, both of mine had by about 100,000km (60k miles) this gives you movement in the steering.

Comment

94 3.0 surf

Head job done.

Hi,
              I go along with the Kiwi, bet he's on the money, had this on one which came in my workshop about 6 years ago, forget what exactly caused it but it wasnt "the usual suspects" if you get my drift.....GUd LUK

peter

Comment

steering problem

I drove the surf home 220 miles with the head issue. Every time I over took a lorry on the motorway I had to over compensate to get it staight again, but when driving straight it was ok. It breaks in a straight line with no pull at all to either side.
                Sounds similar to mine. Cured when Tony fitted new idler
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by crawleym
                  Sounds similar to mine. Cured when Tony fitted new idler
                  Mike
                  My monies on a worn steering idler arm too.

Comment

hey guys

i bought my Surf yesterday, and think i have the same problem, it pulls to the left and ive also encountered the slowing down issue and when going over a cr4p road it felt like there was a bit of play! the guy who i bought it off, had the tracking done recently. anybody know a decent garage in the Aldershot area that i can get it sorted? and what sort of cost im looking at

thanks in advance

cheers
                    stu
                    Hell was full so I came back....

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu263
                      hey guys

i bought my Surf yesterday, and think i have the same problem, it pulls to the left and ive also encountered the slowing down issue and when going over a cr4p road it felt like there was a bit of play! the guy who i bought it off, had the tracking done recently. anybody know a decent garage in the Aldershot area that i can get it sorted? and what sort of cost im looking at

thanks in advance

cheers
                      stu
                      Take it down to TonyN at Basingstoke. My money is on the steering idler arm. You can just replace the bushes if it is not too shot. My Surf is on year two of having new poly bushes fitted and steers luvverly.
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                      X