Moving away from cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving away from cold.

When I start my Surf in the morning from cold( I do wait for the preheater light to go out), the first maneouver is to reverse it.
    Lately, it seems to need about 2500 to 3000 revs before it starts to move.
    Its almost as though I was reversing up a steepish slope , or over a hump, which I'm not.

Once I have moved the vehicle, its seems fine and responsive.

Any ideas please ?

This is obviously not a major inconvenience, but I am concerned that if its the first symptom of something serious, I would like to get it fixed, before it does become a major inconvenience.

Have you checked your transmission fluid level?

Comment

If thats the reservoir under the bonnet, right in front of the steering wheel, then I have and its full (the lettering on the cap is so worn, as to be indecipherable).

Comment

Thats the brake fluid. The gearbox dipstick is the orange one. Start engine, move the gear lever through the gears and put it back in park, leave engine running and check the level on the dipstick.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranfield
          When I start my Surf in the morning from cold( I do wait for the preheater light to go out), the first maneouver is to reverse it.
          Lately, it seems to need about 2500 to 3000 revs before it starts to move.
          Its almost as though I was reversing up a steepish slope , or over a hump, which I'm not.

Once I have moved the vehicle, its seems fine and responsive.

Any ideas please ?

This is obviously not a major inconvenience, but I am concerned that if its the first symptom of something serious, I would like to get it fixed, before it does become a major inconvenience.
          Hand brake seizing on?

Comment

The hand brake seems to be working OK and I don't have this problem once the vehicle has been running.

I can't find an orange dipstick handle, the only one I appear to have is the yellow engine oil dipstick.
            Where should it be located ?
            Surely it couldn't have fallen out ?

Comment

It should be at the back of the engine, passenger side. Look down by the oil filter.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

How embarrassing !! I can't believe I missed it first look.

There are four notches on the dip stick and the level is only just over the third notch (between third and fourth notch).
                I assume that is about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranfield
                  How embarrassing !! I can't believe I missed it first look.

There are four notches on the dip stick and the level is only just over the third notch (between third and fourth notch).
                  I assume that is about right.
                  The top 2 notches indicate maximum and minimum when transmission is hot/normal running temp. The lower 2 notches are for checking it when its cold.
                  eg:

<top>

-Max (hot)

-Min (hot)

-Max (cold)

-Min (cold)

<bottom>

Comment

Just to update on my original problem.

My local Garage suggested letting the engine warm up a bit, before pulling away from a cold start.
                    I have been trying this and so far it appears to have solved the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X