Turbo whistle and hole in airfilter housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo whistle and hole in airfilter housing

I have a turbo whistle that seems louder when the engine is cold and under a little load. I have done a search and read a thread where someone had a whistle and ended up replacing the turbo and still got whistle. I expected to find a split hose or something but nothing obvious - any ideas?
    Also, when I changed the air filter recently I noticed a pre formed hole in the air filter housing. The hole was open with nothing obvious that had fallen out of it (ie a hose or whatever). I just blanked it off with a plastic bung but what was the hole intended for?
    If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

All the Surf turbos whistle so you're o.k. The hole you blocked is for the air flow sensor for the ECU. It should be there somewhere it's got a black cable sleeving attatched to it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      All the Surf turbos whistle so you're o.k. The hole you blocked is for the air flow sensor for the ECU. It should be there somewhere it's got a black cable sleeving attatched to it.
      THANKS! .......... you're right it was there somewhere and now it is back in
      How does it sense air? it just looks like a solid piece of plastic (rocket shaped) on the end of a wire.

Comment

I think it's something to do with air temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          I think it's something to do with air temperature.
          I wondered if somthing was missing from it but looking at it again there seems nothing is broken off so cheers mate - another little mystery solved.

Comment

Working...
          X