Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticking sound

Hi all,

First of what will probably turn out to be many questions...

I've got a '95 4-Runner 3.0 Turbo diesel and I've recently (Stereo broke, so could have been there a while) noticed a ticking noise occuring at around 1K-2K revs - but only when in gear. Sometimes it's quite noticable, sometimes it doesn't seem to happen at all.

Anyone got any idea what this might be?

Thanks for you help!

Steve

Need more info. Fast tick, slow tick, regular, intermitent?? Hard to tell without knowing more.
    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
      Need more info. Fast tick, slow tick, regular, intermitent?? Hard to tell without knowing more.
      Right, sorry.

It's changes with the revs between 1000 - 2000 going from a slow tick to a fast tick on a slow to medium acceleration. Doesn't tend to happen if you're moving through the gears quickly (such as filtering onto a 60mph or higher road or accelerating to 40+ from standstill) If you depress the clutch it disappears straight away. Fades away above 2000 rpm very quickly (never hear it on the motorway etc.)

Doesn't happen at any revs with drive not engaged (revving the engine at standstill / coasting with the clutch in)

Comment

Oh, I should also mention that it does seem to be coming from the engine bay as opposed to the dashboard (I can hear it louder with the window open)

Comment

Doesn't sound like the clock then.

Comment

Could be an injector sticking. Try some Redex in the tank first.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wahchild
              Right, sorry.

It's changes with the revs between 1000 - 2000 going from a slow tick to a fast tick on a slow to medium acceleration. Doesn't tend to happen if you're moving through the gears quickly (such as filtering onto a 60mph or higher road or accelerating to 40+ from standstill) If you depress the clutch it disappears straight away. Fades away above 2000 rpm very quickly (never hear it on the motorway etc.)

Doesn't happen at any revs with drive not engaged (revving the engine at standstill / coasting with the clutch in)
              May be the clutch release bearing or a spring finger on the clutch pressure plate running high due to high milege and/or wear to clutch.
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

does it do it when the vehicle is at a stand still??????????
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Thanks for the ideas - will try the Redex tomorrow.

Doesn't do it at all at standstill - which is annoying when trying to trace exactly where it's coming from.

Mileage is just shy of 75K

Comment

I had a bolt which started to come out from behind the timing cover which resulted in the bolt dragging on the belt and eventually it dropped out and was picked up by the belt. Luckily for me i was approaching a roundabout and the gearbox slipped the drive when it stopped the engine.. Could of been expensive as the belt was replaced the week before and this bolt had not been touched...
                    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                      May be the clutch release bearing or a spring finger on the clutch pressure plate running high due to high milege and/or wear to clutch.
                      This sounds the best idea so far. How old is the clutch you have or when was it last changed? It would explain most of the situations you`ve noted so far.

I think if it was the injector you`d hear it at either standstill or all through the range unless it was only happening when the engine was under stress which is unlikely? Still a bit of redex is worth a try.
                      [font=Comic Sans MS][color=red][b][u]SSR-G SURF `N` REG 95[/u][/b][/color][/font]
                      [img]http://tinypic.com/i1k95k.jpg[/img]

Comment

I had something similar a few months ago - which turned out to be a screw stuck in the tread of my tyre! - lucky it didn't actually pierce the tyre - just wedged sidways between treads.
                        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Hi,

Just a bit of an update (in case anyone else has a similar issue).

Did the Redex thing - made no difference, but I was kind of expecting it. It is definitely only occuring at mid revs when gear is engaged.

Saw the old man recently who has a long history of fixing cars and he agrees with the clutch release bearing or a spring finger diagnosis - also noticed that the clutch is starting to feel a bit tired now.

Can see a new clutch occurring in the next couple of months so will let you know if the ticking goes away.

Thanks for you help all.

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
                            I had something similar a few months ago - which turned out to be a screw stuck in the tread of my tyre! - lucky it didn't actually pierce the tyre - just wedged sidways between treads.
                            Yeah- check your treads before lifting the engine out! I get clicky stones all the time in my big tread pattern.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if you got small european hatchbacks stuck in your tyre treads!

Comment

Working...
                              X