Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From a 2nd Gen newbie with previous (L*nd R*ver) 4WD experience:

Little lever:
    Keep back unless you're going somewhere really steep.
    Side button out = 2WD (rear wheel drive)
    Side button in = 4WD
    Lever Forwards = 4WD Low Ratio whether button is in or out
    There is no 2WD low ratio
    Don't leave the transfer box in neutral unless vehicle is being towed otherwise Park on the (auto) gearbox doesn't do anything useful.

Always stop to change 2WD to 4WD and back again
    Always stop to change into or out of low ratio
    Also select Neutral (manual box) or Park (auto box) for above changes.

There are those who will tell you that you don't, under certain conditions, need to be so careful but I'd rather play it safe.

There is no centre diff on a 2nd Gen, so 4WD should be used only on slippery surfaces. The wheels must be able to slip otherwise you will break something (sounds daft, but it's true. If the wheels can't slip, reckon on a new gearbox or half shaft).

4WD on poor tyres just means you spin 4 wheels instead of 2. Consider your tyres before venturing off road.

The O/D swith on the side of the autobox gear selector is wonderful! Switch the O/D off in town and stop panicking about speed cameras otherwise it tends to shift up and creep over the limit

Apologies to anyone who knows any better - this is how I'm doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by NFC
      From a 2nd Gen newbie with previous (L*nd R*ver) 4WD experience:

Little lever:
      Keep back unless you're going somewhere really steep.
      Side button out = 2WD (rear wheel drive)
      Side button in = 4WD
      Lever Forwards = 4WD Low Ratio whether button is in or out
      There is no 2WD low ratio
      Don't leave the transfer box in neutral unless vehicle is being towed otherwise Park on the (auto) gearbox doesn't do anything useful.

Always stop to change 2WD to 4WD and back again
      Always stop to change into or out of low ratio
      Also select Neutral (manual box) or Park (auto box) for above changes.

There are those who will tell you that you don't, under certain conditions, need to be so careful but I'd rather play it safe.

There is no centre diff on a 2nd Gen, so 4WD should be used only on slippery surfaces. The wheels must be able to slip otherwise you will break something (sounds daft, but it's true. If the wheels can't slip, reckon on a new gearbox or half shaft).

4WD on poor tyres just means you spin 4 wheels instead of 2. Consider your tyres before venturing off road.

The O/D swith on the side of the autobox gear selector is wonderful! Switch the O/D off in town and stop panicking about speed cameras otherwise it tends to shift up and creep over the limit

Apologies to anyone who knows any better - this is how I'm doing it.
      thankyou that made sense

Comment

3rd Gen 4WD

Originally posted by stevieboy
        if you just press the 4 wheel drive button on a gen 3 surf does that put it in 4 wheel drive but not engage the centre diff?
        Yes.

If you move the lever backwards into the H4L position, it engages 4WD (high range) with the centre diff locked, whether the button is pressed in or not.

If you then move the 4wd lever to the right, then forwards (need to be in neutral or park for this), it goes into 4wd low range, again with the centre diff locked. There is no option to be in 4wd low range with the centre diff open.

Make sense? (Hope so...)
        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Crivvens....what a palaver.....I must say it all looks too complicated for a wee lassie tae retain a' that information. I think I will jist stick wi H2 with the diff in the off postition and using L1 &L2 for creeping slowly in the snow. It worked for me in January.....

Shirl....Happy St Andrews day xxxxxxx mwahhhhhh

Comment

oops...jist noticed I put a comment in a thread from 2005!!!! What a turnip!

Comment

Originally posted by shirley53 View Post
              Crivvens....what a palaver.....I must say it all looks too complicated for a wee lassie tae retain a' that information. I think I will jist stick wi H2 with the diff in the off postition and using L1 &L2 for creeping slowly in the snow. It worked for me in January.....

Shirl....Happy St Andrews day xxxxxxx mwahhhhhh
              L1 & L2?
              You profile says you have a 2nd gen not a 3rd.

Comment

I meant the 2 lowest gears on the big stick !...lol...Oh and while I am at it , I meant to say I put the o/d off and not the diff...got diff on the brain wading through that post....I'll quit while i'm behind!!!

Shirl

Comment

What! can someone please explain it again.

Comment

Originally posted by axelgs1 View Post
                    What! can someone please explain it again.

Do you have a 3rd or 2nd gen Surf?

Comment

Sorry Bush...only kidding....I was just giggling over the H4 H2 L2 Up down Get out the car...binding tranny, turn left then right, swear, go back now forwards, overdrive, big lever, little lever...made my head melt

Comment

Sorry Bush...only kidding....I was just giggling over the H4 H2 L2 Up down Get out the car...binding tranny, turn left then right, swear, go back now forwards, overdrive, big lever, little lever...made my head melt

Oh, OK.
                        But seriously, what do you have? '95-'96 was the change-over year.

Comment

Well good question...Its a M reg ssrg I thought it was a 95 but I think according to Roughtrax some M reg's went into 96. Is that right ?

Comment

Well good question...Its a M reg ssrg I thought it was a 95 but I think according to Roughtrax some M reg's went into 96. Is that right ?
                            It's a 2nd gen then.
                            There are some 'N' reg 2nd gens. about, but no 'M' reg 3rd gens.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Bush. I change my description

Comment

After reading the post I am more confused than ever...don't know if I am coming or going!....lol...

Comment

Working...
                                X