Steering knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering knocking

When driving on rocky bumpy lanes, the steering makes a knocking sound, (more of a feeling) as it hits various bumps etc. Is this normal, or could something be loose. It's a 96 SRG 3rd Gen with only 60k miles so hopefully nothing too worn,but am not sure how to check with the benefit of a lift.

I get no sensation of knocking when on smooth green lanes or on the road, so am thinking it's just a tad of play in the steering?

Originally posted by glutes
    When driving on rocky bumpy lanes, the steering makes a knocking sound, (more of a feeling) as it hits various bumps etc. Is this normal, or could something be loose. It's a 96 SRG 3rd Gen with only 60k miles so hopefully nothing too worn,but am not sure how to check with the benefit of a lift.

I get no sensation of knocking when on smooth green lanes or on the road, so am thinking it's just a tad of play in the steering?

quite possibly the suspension hitting the stops???

If it only happens on hardcore off road and not on smooth greenlanes/roads
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

I get the same thing, mild metalic knocking noise and feeling on the wheel when driving on uneven ground, not nearly hard enough work to be the suspension stops, on mine at least. It always has done and over 20,000kms later it's not got any worse at least. Tony serviced the car a while back and thought it might be the idler arm bushes but we didn't have time to check. It feels to me like it's behind the steering wheel but there isn't much it could be there so i guess he's right and it's travelling up through from the axle. If you find out for sure what it is please let me know!
      PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Comment

that's exactly what mine does. Will check the idler arm bushes and report back

Comment

Originally posted by glutes
          that's exactly what mine does. Will check the idler arm bushes and report back
          Don't bother, you don't have one!!!

Check the bushes that hold the steering rack on, and all the parts of the lower steering column. Or it could be looseness in the rack, but unlikely at that sort of milage.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

squeaking, grinding, thumping sounds

Mine has started to make squeaking, grinding, thumping sounds when I hit small bumps in the road?

Its not the bump stops or the steering stops because I checked. It squeeks loudly when I drop off a kerb followed by a knocking sound?

I`ve read all the threads about using a bit of grease but this hasn`t helped. The shocks have been checked and at the same time while on a ramp we made the car bounce up and down but couldn`t hear anything? It`s starting to confuse me as to what it can be? It sounds terrible while I`m driving along.

Any ideas anyone?
            [font=Comic Sans MS][color=red][b][u]SSR-G SURF `N` REG 95[/u][/b][/color][/font]
            [img]http://tinypic.com/i1k95k.jpg[/img]

Comment

Check your front anti-roll bar bushes, they may be knackered or the bracket holding them may have broken causing the anti-roll bar to 'knock'

Have a look here, the fifth post down from 'John sally'

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ll+bar+bracket
              Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 3 December 2005, 19:45.

Comment

Working...
              X