ABS/ braking problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS/ braking problems

I wonder if anyone has come across this before, i have an ssrg with abs and sometimes especially when its wet or i'm towing i apply the brake the truck starts to slow down then all of a sudden i get afeeling under my foot like i'm standing on moving marbles and the truck feels like it starts to accelarate!!
    Has anyone else had a similar problem?
    Cheers
    Paul.

Originally posted by riddler
    I wonder if anyone has come across this before, i have an ssrg with abs and sometimes especially when its wet or i'm towing i apply the brake the truck starts to slow down then all of a sudden i get afeeling under my foot like i'm standing on moving marbles and the truck feels like it starts to accelarate!!
    Cheers
    Paul.
    That will be your ABS kicking in, it is exactly the same on mine. I think the acceleration you feel is just because the brakes are allowing you to steer and not stopping you dead like they normally do. Nothing to worry about !!!!!

Comment

Cheers
      Paul.
      Yep I get that, but its cos i've got a dodgy abs sensor (intermittent or disrupted signal). Usually my ABS light on the dash comes on and stays on at the same time. Most of the time it goes off again after switching the ignition off and on again. Does your ABS light come on momentarily when you switch the ignition on, and then go out? Just making sure the bulb is working....

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replys, the abs light comes on with the ignition so i think its working okay but it feels like its only doing it on one front wheel, it can't be normal because its frightening!!

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replys, the abs light comes on with the ignition so i think its working okay but it feels like its only doing it on one front wheel, it can't be normal because its frightening!!
          Nope, I'd have to agree with the others, as odd as it may feel, it is normal.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Perfectly normal - AFAIK the BS is twin channel, so it should only release the braking on the slipping wheel.
            Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Cheers fellas, its put my mind at ease anyway.

Comment

Well, it depends on how hard you're jumping on the brakes. This should only happen if the abs system detects more than 10% (I think) difference in speed between wheels on the same axle.
                Are your tyres the same size each side,
                are they all inflated to the correct pressure,
                are they the same make / tread pattern?
                Basically, if your abs system is ok and assuming you aren't jumping on the brakes too hard, I'd guess that a tyre on one side isn't as grippy as the other.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
                  Perfectly normal - AFAIK the BS is twin channel, so it should only release the braking on the slipping wheel.
                  Sort of - it's got 3 channels afaik. The front brakes are independant and the rears aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                    Sort of - it's got 3 channels afaik. The front brakes are independant and the rears aren't.
                    That's the one!
                    Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Working...
                    X