Is it the head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the head gasket?

I have tested the electrics on the glowplug side and there seems to be no problem here, but it still takes a lot of cranking from cold. Can I safely say it is likely to be the head gasket on my 3.0 td auto?

If an injector is blocked/burnt out will it cause problems with general running?

Will a blown gasket not cause running problems as well?

Any help appreciated.

Originally posted by waveydavey00
    I have tested the electrics on the glowplug side and there seems to be no problem here, but it still takes a lot of cranking from cold. Can I safely say it is likely to be the head gasket on my 3.0 td auto?

If an injector is blocked/burnt out will it cause problems with general running?

Will a blown gasket not cause running problems as well?

Any help appreciated.
    When the gasket went on my 3.0 there were no starting or running problems - it just used some water and got hot easier than normal. New gasket 18 months ago fixed the problem - been right as rain ever since.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I had starting probs,water loss, but once started ran fine. New CHG sorted it all.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
        I had starting probs,water loss, but once started ran fine. New CHG sorted it all.
        Dave- was it turning over repeatedly (quite quickly)and took time to start from cold but started quite easily when warm?

I do not seem to have water loss or overheating now.

Comment

Dave- was it turning over repeatedly (quite quickly)and took time to start from cold but started quite easily when warm?

I do not seem to have water loss or overheating now.
          His wouldn't start, full stop! from cold, but was fine when warm.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

[QUOTE=TonyN]His wouldn't start, full stop! from cold, but was fine when warm

Was that the loss of compression then?

and is the best way to simply check compression and take it from there?

Comment

[QUOTE=waveydavey00]
              Originally posted by TonyN
              His wouldn't start, full stop! from cold, but was fine when warm

Was that the loss of compression then?

and is the best way to simply check compression and take it from there?
              silly question but how do you check the compression

Comment

[QUOTE=bootuk]
                silly question but how do you check the compression
                You need to use a compression tester.... tony has posted the compression figures somewhere....

Comment

You will need to find someone with a diesel compression tester. Do not attempt to use one meant for a petrol engine.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                  X