Engine tickover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine tickover.

This may be a silly question, from a non mechanically minded driver, but I would like to reduce the tickover on my Surf, but I'm not sure where the adjustment is.
    Any ideas , please ?

Originally posted by Cranfield
    This may be a silly question, from a non mechanically minded driver, but I would like to reduce the tickover on my Surf, but I'm not sure where the adjustment is.
    Any ideas , please ?
    Hi,
    Engine off, in neutral, park brake engaged,Lift the hood, get someone to press and release gas pedal whilst you watch what is taking place on top of and towards rear of rocker cover....see that silvery cable pulling on a brass coloured swivelling boss ? Thats the throttle operating...trace back about 6 inches to where the outer of this big bowden cable starts and you see a locknut /captive nut set up....this is a point of adjustment....Loosen slightly the nut to give the inner cable slightly more slack and then retighten locknut and test...trial and error till you get adjustment correct...disregarding what you may read elsewhere IMHO the optimum idle speed - engine at correct operating temp - is about 800 revs per minute, any less and some items under dash tend to vibrate a wee bit, one day I will cable tie them !!!! sorry mo digi piccy but if your stuck will take one later....

Peter

Comment

Thanks Uplander, I appreciate the detail you gave, even I can understand that.

Comment

Before doing all the above, check that you don't have the idle-up button selected. That increases your tickover from about 800RPM to 1200 RPM-ish.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
        X