Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear selector- wont move!

Hi guys.

Tried to move the gear selector this morning from P to Drive and it wont move. It feels like it's locked somehow. Is the car telling me there is a problem with the brakes etc? Is it just a fault?

To move the car I have to press down on the red button then select the gear.

The car was fine yesterday and no unusual noises etc.

Any ideas?

Cheryl

This is probably a dumb question, but did you have your foot on the brake pedal before moving the gearstick?

Comment

Yes!

I've had the car for a few years now and driven everyday. I realise that there is some kind of connection with the brakes and being able to move the gear selector. Perhaps the car wont allow you to select gears if the pads are worn or if there is a fault???

Any more ideas???

cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by beach surfer
        Yes!

I've had the car for a few years now and driven everyday. I realise that there is some kind of connection with the brakes and being able to move the gear selector. Perhaps the car wont allow you to select gears if the pads are worn or if there is a fault???

Any more ideas???

cheryl
        don't think it will stop you just coz pads are worn. AFAIK it feeds from the brake switch used for your brake lights, have a look and see if they are working.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

wasn't there something to do with one of the lamps had gone then the circuit doesn't complete and the selector won't work?
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks guys - I will take a look at the lights and will get back to you.

cheryl

Comment

You are spot on guys!

Rear lights wern't working. On investigating the fuse had blown.

Replaced bulb then fuse and now everything is back to normal.

Thanks once again.

cheryl

Comment

note to forum

Originally posted by beach surfer
                You are spot on guys!

Rear lights wern't working. On investigating the fuse had blown.

Replaced bulb then fuse and now everything is back to normal.

Thanks once again.

cheryl
                it will still work if one brake light is out....note to self....replace brakelight bulb
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

Working...
                X