Tow bar info!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow bar info!!!

Fisrtly, thanks to the posters who gave me advice/tips with regards stereo and brakes. (see "another surf virgin" link down the main 3.0l page)

Sorted the stereo out myself, and got the dealer I bought my beloved surf from to slap some new discs and pads on gratis, (Lucky me!!!) braking's as smooth as the prverbial babies' bottom now.

I now however, have a further couple of challenges for you folks. Firstly, when I managed to sort the stereo out as mentioned, found the fascia for the air con controls, to be broken from previous attempts at the same thing. Simply put, does anyone know if/where I can acquire a replacement? One of those irritating ones really, had I not done it in the first place I probably wouldn't have noticed, but I have and now I can't stop ****** well looking at it!!

Secondly, my other half has decided that this new found size and space should have a big white box swinging around behind it! I believe she referred to it as a caravan!!! Apologies to caravan lovers amongst you, but "bollox" was my immediate response! I think the cunning bugger anticipated this as I thought I'd done rather well to trade it down to a trailer tent, thinking that all I had to do was keep her away from any camp/cararavan dealerships. (Pardon the pun! ) Nope!!! Her dad had allready offered us/her one for free!!! Fantastic, can't even turn it down on the grounds of price!!

So to my next question. (I know, I know, it's taken a while!) Looked on t'internet sites and there are lots of DIY tow bar kits available, thinking of the one from Roughtrack as this would seem to 100% guarantee to be the correct one for my model of surf. But does anyone know of any probs with regards fitting, particularly the electrics, which I have to say, could not be further from my field of expertise, whatever the hell that might be!!!

Cheers for any help,

Rob.

Originally posted by Robg74
    Fisrtly, thanks to the posters who gave me advice/tips with regards stereo and brakes. (see "another surf virgin" link down the main 3.0l page)

Sorted the stereo out myself, and got the dealer I bought my beloved surf from to slap some new discs and pads on gratis, (Lucky me!!!) braking's as smooth as the prverbial babies' bottom now.

I now however, have a further couple of challenges for you folks. Firstly, when I managed to sort the stereo out as mentioned, found the fascia for the air con controls, to be broken from previous attempts at the same thing. Simply put, does anyone know if/where I can acquire a replacement? One of those irritating ones really, had I not done it in the first place I probably wouldn't have noticed, but I have and now I can't stop ****** well looking at it!!

Secondly, my other half has decided that this new found size and space should have a big white box swinging around behind it! I believe she referred to it as a caravan!!! Apologies to caravan lovers amongst you, but "bollox" was my immediate response! I think the cunning bugger anticipated this as I thought I'd done rather well to trade it down to a trailer tent, thinking that all I had to do was keep her away from any camp/cararavan dealerships. (Pardon the pun! ) Nope!!! Her dad had allready offered us/her one for free!!! Fantastic, can't even turn it down on the grounds of price!!

So to my next question. (I know, I know, it's taken a while!) Looked on t'internet sites and there are lots of DIY tow bar kits available, thinking of the one from Roughtrack as this would seem to 100% guarantee to be the correct one for my model of surf. But does anyone know of any probs with regards fitting, particularly the electrics, which I have to say, could not be further from my field of expertise, whatever the hell that might be!!!

Cheers for any help,

Rob.
    Try here for the towbar, this is where i got mine and it fits like a glove.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Hi-Lux-...QQcmdZViewItem

p.s update your profile with the model/year of your surf It makes it easier for people to help you.

Comment

Bought mine a couple of months ago directly from Tow Equip for £108 including delivery. It also looks different from the one shown on eBay.

Spent some time spraying it before fitting it and now I feel that it looks well.

Fitting the actual towbar took an hour or so - pretty straight forward once you've got your head aroung where it mounts. Electrics took a little longer, but that's primarily due to the hassle of getting to the wires, which are behind each of the side panels in the load area. The instructions that came with the kit had the correct details, i.e. colours for the wires. Once I'd actually got to the wires, fitting was a doddle. P.s. going back about 10 months I did my first oil change - might give you an idea of my level of ability.

Am really pleased with how well the Surf tows. Had about ½ a tonne in the trailler a few days ago and you could hardly tell she was towing anything.

Rob
      Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

I would definately go for the Tow Equipe one as recommended in both previous posts, fitted one on my 3rd Gen a few weeks ago and it looks really good and extremely tough as well as good price. The guys there are also very helpful as I had a bit of a problem and not only did they get it sorted but got the manufacturer to include extra bolts and revised instructions for all future kits!!

If you have an early 3rd Gen like mine, instead of there being 3 threaded and one non threaded hole in each chassis rail as per the instructions there are 2 threaded and 2 blank holes which left me short of fixings for one hole!! A quick call and a discussion or two later, two nuts and washers were on there way to me. The extra bolts are a bit tricky to fit as you have to lower them through a slotted hole in the side of the chassis rail, didn't take too long just fidddly, especialy if you drop it and need to get it out again!!

I did consider not fitting the last two as the whole thing seemed very strong without them but having spoken to the manufacturers technical team, they though it would probably be OK with a light trailer but would be a different matter with something a bit heavier, especially something with twin axles.

As to wiring, the instructions are adequate, the hardest part is getting the wires into the car, I eventualy drilled a couple of holes up through the floor on the left hand side , in the area below the light fitting, once you have established the correct wire it is pretty straight forward.

If you search under towbars you will find a couple of pictures of the tow equipe bar as it is quite popular.

Hope this helps rather confuses, if you need any help let me know.

Comment

I would go with the Tow Equip one to.Got mine from them via Ebay.£98 with twin electrics delivered, and it came next day.

I did buy one from Roughtrack to start with but it did not fit.I rang up the manufacturers and the they assured me it was the right one but the fact remained that it was to wide after the chassis mounting brackets were in place.
          Stella Artois

Comment

Originally posted by jackster
            I would go with the Tow Equip one to.Got mine from them via Ebay.£98 with twin electrics delivered, and it came next day.

I did buy one from Roughtrack to start with but it did not fit.I rang up the manufacturers and the they assured me it was the right one but the fact remained that it was to wide after the chassis mounting brackets were in place.

Thanks Jackster, and all the other posters above. Towequipe it is then! Have to say though, I am amazed to hear Roughtrack sent you a wrong 'un, but there you go.

Just noticed Jackster, a small hill between me and the mate, goes by the name of Pendle. Such a small place this t'interweb thingy eh?

Comment

Oh local lad eh?

Bin over the hill today to Burnley to do a big shop.There`s quite a few surfs about now over your part of the world,usually see a green one going into Barrowford on the Gisburn road.

I think the tow bar from Rough trax was a one off.Nobody could explain why it would`nt fit, ,but it was still about 2 inch to wide to fit on the mounting brackets,possibly labeled up wrong somewhere on route.They were very appologetic and i sent it back.(Don`t want to send out any negative press when it`s no deserved)
              Stella Artois

Comment

Towbar

I bought a brand new towbar for my 2.4 2nd gen off e-bay for £35 + £20 postage. When I had fitted the two brackets I found the cross bar was 1" too short. However the secret appears to be to put everything on but with loose bolts. It all works then, of course you tighten it up after. Its badged "Atlas" and has a limit of 2000kg, however it looks massive and has a removable bit with the ball on. It was item number 320046803446 if anyone is interested.He did have some more at the time I bought mine.
                Martin

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie
                  I bought a brand new towbar for my 2.4 2nd gen off e-bay for £35 + £20 postage. Its badged "Atlas" and has a limit of 2000kg, however it looks massive and has a removable bit with the ball on. It was item number 320046803446 if anyone is interested.
                  Martin do you have any pictures of this item as a kit or once fitted?. Need to check it suits my application. (Due to various mods)

Thanks Mate
                  Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

Working...
                  X