When do you change the injectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you change the injectors?

I just got my 1994 3.0 TD SSR-X hilux surf from Japan. I am very happy with it except for the gas mileage 7kpl which I think is about 16.45mpg. Not GOOD! The car has 93,000k on it. Will changing the injectors at this stage improve the gas mileage or do they even need changing? I've changed all the filters, timing belt etc, and disengaged the EGR. Any advice or experience in this area would be appreciated!

Originally posted by Ruaha
    I just got my 1994 3.0 TD SSR-X hilux surf from Japan. I am very happy with it except for the gas mileage 7kpl which I think is about 16.45mpg. Not GOOD! The car has 93,000k on it. Will changing the injectors at this stage improve the gas mileage or do they even need changing? I've changed all the filters, timing belt etc, and disengaged the EGR. Any advice or experience in this area would be appreciated!
    Buy a fuel additive type injector cleaner (Wynns, Redex, Forte etc) and ignore the dose on the bottle. Put the whole bottle into 1/4 tank of diesel and take the truck for a fast 5 mile run with the o/d switched off. If the injectors are OK it should clean out anything that is blocking them.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Ruaha

Changed my injectors recently.(I should say had them changed for me) At least one had become obviously noisy with a clear tick tick under load. Since having them done, engine is quieter and smoother, there is much less smoke and it does about another 3-4mpg.

I would have thought that injectors are fairly critical, if youre not vapourising the fuel properly you aint gonna burn it too well. The question is whether it is worth shelling out the cash when you may have some other, more significant problem.

Mine cost about £200 to have them reconditioned. One thing you can bank on is that when Lucas or whoever get hold of them they aren't going to send them back and say "there's nothing wrong with them".

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I'll try the injector cleaner first, and hopefully that will help, and then I'll pursue the injector option if I'm not satisfied with the results. I'm still curious as to what is normal mileage to change the injectors???

Comment

Originally posted by Ruaha
          Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. I'll try the injector cleaner first, and hopefully that will help, and then I'll pursue the injector option if I'm not satisfied with the results. I'm still curious as to what is normal mileage to change the injectors???
          I was told 'many you dont get trouble with these' However I had them serviced by 'lucas' and they do apear better. Trouble is I cant be sure as I was doing a full engine rebuild. mind you goes like greased weasel sh1t now
          Tony
          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
          Tony

Comment

Linda's 3.0 needed new nozzles after 70,000miles (if you believe the odometer is correct) as they had worn and didn't spray properly.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Linda's 3.0 needed new nozzles after 70,000miles (if you believe the odometer is correct) as they had worn and didn't spray properly.
              rather than new, have you concidered having the old ones serviced? I had mine checked out by lucas CAV (think they have changed their name now) and the seats lapped in - made oodles of difference and was cheaper than new ones
              Tony
              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                rather than new, have you concidered having the old ones serviced? I had mine checked out by lucas CAV (think they have changed their name now) and the seats lapped in - made oodles of difference and was cheaper than new ones
                Tony
                We had our old ones reconned, but cos they needed new nozzles, and one new body it would have been cheaper to buy a whole reconned set from somewhere like UK Cylinderheads, but we didn't know at the time but they are done now.

New ones are probably plenty spendy!
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sit down before reading!

Originally posted by TonyN
                  We had our old ones reconned, but cos they needed new nozzles, and one new body it would have been cheaper to buy a whole reconned set from somewhere like UK Cylinderheads, but we didn't know at the time but they are done now.

New ones are probably plenty spendy!
                  You kid not....I was quoted by toyota £210.00
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  ;
                  EACH yes EACH
                  so when the service came out at about a ton you can imagine I was a bit relieved

£840 + VAT you have got to be jesting...
                  I know fixing our trucks aint cheap but
                  F**K
                  Tony
                  Tony

Comment

I used to have a Triumph TR6 when I was young and impoverished. Had a bolcked injector on that so I took it off and connected it to an oxygen bottle off of my welding kit. Gave it a good blast, all the works came sticking out the end and sprung back. Woked a treat after that, probably not reccomended though.
                    Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Yep, I'll probably be doing that to mine this week. I'll soak them in cellulose thinners first, then give them a blast with my compressor.

Comment

Hi Ruaha

I renewed my injectors at approx. 100,000 miles. Now at 143,000 miles and I get a very similar mileage on long journeys and even worse around town. Might try that fuel additive trick suggested earlier.

I'm just over the border - Nairobi. If you ever come over look me up: 020 434 8889. Will be in the Mara (Sand River Gate) mid september so maybe we'll meet.

Stay well,
                        @africa4x4cafe
                        [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Don't know if this will be any good for the UK contingent

http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-injectors.php

or

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/injectors.shtml
                          Last edited by Gizmo; 24 August 2005, 17:53.
                          Gaz

Comment

Bundubasher,

Thanks for the info. I'm at 93,000k, and I will probably have them pulled and checked first before anything radical and expensive. Labor is cheap here in Tanzania, so I can try that first. I also notice on the Aussie site that some of the surf owners are cleaning their intake manifold because the EGR apparently caused signicant build up in the manifold; however, it looks like quite a task to take off. They are saying it helped with mileage. I really like the surf. It is alot of fun to drive.

I will be in Nairobi in September, but not in Mara. Maybe another time we frequently go to Nairobi.

Ruaha

Comment

Working...
                            X