Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rad & Cooling experts needed

Hi All, Back again!
    rebuild going well however, on having my rad checked as the core was a bit suspect the rebuilder has found that the trans oil cooler in the bottom tank is leaking - in my rad a s/steel? plate type. does anyone have any ideas? he came up with a tube within tube type that was in a turbo d L##d R###r (sorry all for the bad language!) and says that he can fit it into a new fabricated bottom tank that will need to be 20mm deeper (any potencial problems there?) or to concider a separate air cooled job, if so any ideas where to put it, what the rating should be etc. hopefully some of you off roadies have had to cool your boxes!!!!
    Tony
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Merc 190 gearbox cooler will also fit and also will no longer obscure the lower rad outlet. That is what I did with my rad rebuild.

Four rows with a Truimph Stag type layout with slightly larger fin gap... to deal with foreign objects.

Note mine is a 2nd gen 2.4, but the theory is close...

Works a treat.

Comment

iam sure this was one of the ideas on the aussie sites ,the whole page takes some reading but theres a picture so could just scan to you find the piccy,found the site from a link in searce some time ago,on cooling or over heating i think

Comment

Originally posted by mud-ge
        iam sure this was one of the ideas on the aussie sites ,the whole page takes some reading but theres a picture so could just scan to you find the piccy,found the site from a link in searce some time ago,on cooling or over heating i think
        Yeah, they suffer with a lot of rad probs over there, I recall its because some surfs are destined for places like Sapporo in the north of japan, with winter packs etc, and smaller pipes in and out of the rads. When these turn up in the outback they need to modify them.

Try searching for Sapporo (?) on the oz site. (which is pretty great site).

Comment

Before I left for Africa I had my rad upgraded from 3 to 5 core (losing the viscous clutch in the process).

I drove it fully laden (2.9 tonnes) from Joburg to Nairobi (5000km) with no overheating problems although I am using a heavy duty OME suspension set up to deal with all that weight.

The rad upgrade has been the second best mod I've made to my 4Runner (the first id fitting 16" steel LandCruiser rims).
          @africa4x4cafe
          [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

mother of a rad!

Originally posted by bundubasher
            Before I left for Africa I had my rad upgraded from 3 to 5 core (losing the viscous clutch in the process).

I drove it fully laden (2.9 tonnes) from Joburg to Nairobi (5000km) with no overheating problems although I am using a heavy duty OME suspension set up to deal with all that weight.

The rad upgrade has been the second best mod I've made to my 4Runner (the first id fitting 16" steel LandCruiser rims).
            did you need a crane to fit it?
            tony
            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
              did you need a crane to fit it?
              tony
              Dunno! Badge (?) at Warwick radiators fitted it. He also had a new flange bespoke made for the fan and so big respect to him as it was a rush job before we left.
              @africa4x4cafe

Comment

was that warwick radiators in coventry?
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                  was that warwick radiators in coventry?
                  Yep. Tel. Number should be on the BUNDUBASHER homepage under: Heroes.

Bash or Badge or Badger was the man to speak to, he may also still have my old 3 core rad if anyone is interested.

\
                  @africa4x4cafe

Comment

cool, someone handy, just up the road!
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                      cool, someone handy, just up the road!
                      Just tell him that the rad is still going strong, the rest of the truck may be falling apart but the rad is still strong!
                      @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Working...
                      X