New owner-help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner-help needed

I finally own my dream- a 3.0lt 1996 50,000 mile Surf bought on Friday. Unfortunatally I fall in the 'no idea' how to drive a 4X4 category but with the continued help and advice to be gained from this site I'm sure my surf wont have endure too much pain!

Couple of questions-any advice and help on getting SVA- specifically where can I 'rent' a model report.

insureance-tesco have said they wont cover me for theft unless I fit a CAT 1 or 2 alarm. Is this the norm. Does a Surf have a an acceptable imobiliser fitted as standard

thanks

Originally posted by fergus
    I finally own my dream- a 3.0lt 1996 50,000 mile Surf bought on Friday. Unfortunatally I fall in the 'no idea' how to drive a 4X4 category but with the continued help and advice to be gained from this site I'm sure my surf wont have endure too much pain!

Couple of questions-any advice and help on getting SVA- specifically where can I 'rent' a model report.

insureance-tesco have said they wont cover me for theft unless I fit a CAT 1 or 2 alarm. Is this the norm. Does a Surf have a an acceptable imobiliser fitted as standard

thanks

ref - insurance. cat 1= alarm and imobiliser cat 2= imobiliser only

insurance requires cat 2 minimum. surfs as far as i know are not fitted with any type of alarm /imobiliser....
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

tesco wanted the same for me, you might as well do it anyway for a bit peace of mind. I got mine from caralarmsuk ltd and they fitted at my house no problems...
      He said its "splashproof" and thats an understatement!
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

HELLO FERGUS,
        TRY THE SEARCH FACILITY ON THIS SITE, YOU`LL FIND LOADS ON INSURANCE, ECT, ECT........
        Last edited by Sungear6; 28 June 2005, 13:11.

Comment

Thanks for your help- the wait to get out ther driving inthe sun is so anoying. have fitted fog light and had speedo changed to show MPH.

What else if anything needs doing?

Do I need to have a model report for this to be SVa testes as its a 1996 model.

Comment

dude

Try the AA got mine for 450 fully comp no alarm or imobiliser...
            But put one on all the same .Stop the scum bags .
            Cause its no good shuttin the door after the horse has bolted .

Comment

insurance

Originally posted by priest
              dude

Try the AA got mine for 450 fully comp no alarm or imobiliser...
              But put one on all the same .Stop the scum bags .
              Cause its no good shuttin the door after the horse has bolted .
              Norwich Union covered mine for 256.00 3.0 KZN130, but there again I AM OLD!!!!!!!& it is fitted with Cat 1 alarm and imobiliser
              Tony
              Last edited by fatfires; 29 June 2005, 00:22. Reason: forgot something
              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
              Tony

Comment

You can get a model report from http://www.importedvehicles.co.uk/

Comment

One further ouestion if I may. when you switch off engine and remove key the surf 'runns on', ie engine keeps going for about 1 further min- i assume this is to cool it down. i'm told this running on time can be adjusted-where or how?

thanks

Comment

Sounds like it may be fitted with a turbo timer. It's meant to allow the turbo to cool down after a long fast run without screwing the turbo bearings if it's shut down hot. I believe they're not strictly legal in UK.
                    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                      Sounds like it may be fitted with a turbo timer. It's meant to allow the turbo to cool down after a long fast run without screwing the turbo bearings if it's shut down hot. I believe they're not strictly legal in UK.

I think the law is....
                      You're not allowed to leave an empty vehicle with the engine running.

Comment

Cat2 immobiliser will cost around £120 fitted.

Insurance shoudl be no more than £300 or so. Tesco are known to be good (in the first year anyway)

Turbo timer will not please the SVA tester. Hide and disable it or remove it completely.

Kev

Comment

A turbo timer....

Where can I get one?

Is there no clever LED warning you can discretely fit instead...

Decidedly dodgy counting down on my fingers after a motorway blast.

Paul

Comment

Turbo timers, some spotty faced copper will nick you for "not being in control of the vehicle". Read in my local paper a few years ago, bloke going to work, starts car, goes back to front door to kiss wife & baby goodbye, copper nicks him. Still at least I felt safer as I went to bed that night, we don't need people like that ruining our society do we? Hanging was too good for him!
                            Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Working...
                            X