first oil change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first oil change...

Thinking of doing a oil change on the surf as its getting low anyway... few questions,

1, what would be the best oil to get?
    2, how much do i need?
    3, were is the oil drain plug?
    4, how do i drain oil? (never done it b4...)
    5, should i change the oil filter at the same time?
    6, how much is a oil filter?
    7, do i need any special tools for the drain plug?

think thats everything... strange that i have done loads of eng work b4 but never had to change the oil on any car...

1/ Anything, its hard to buy a crap oil, they all reach SAE specs to be sold. Look for a semi-synthetic for best results, but a good mineral oil regulally changed is OK
    2/About 8 liters
    3/Back of the sump, behind the front crossmember
    4/Undo drain plug, then clean up floor! do with the engine warm, and leave it 1/2 hour if poss to get most out.
    5/Yup.
    6/about £8ish +vat +p&p for mail order.
    7/14mm socket.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

k thanks... took it to ats this morning (couldnt be bothered doing it myself after all) £29.99 for a full change and filter... not too bad imo...

funny thing was tho they couldnt find a 3.0 surf... and had no clue how much oil it took lol all sorted in the end tho,

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        1/ Anything, its hard to buy a crap oil, they all reach SAE specs to be sold. Look for a semi-synthetic for best results, but a good mineral oil regulally changed is OK
        2/About 8 liters
        3/Back of the sump, behind the front crossmember
        4/Undo drain plug, then clean up floor! do with the engine warm, and leave it 1/2 hour if poss to get most out.
        5/Yup.
        6/about £8ish +vat +p&p for mail order.
        7/14mm socket.

Tony,

As a follow up to this thread, is there any difference in using oil that specifies it is for turbo engines, as against ordinary diesel oil, in a 3.0L td?

Ken
        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X