Auto Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Transmission

HELP, my tranny started leaking all over the bottom of the truck. Leaked about half the fluid out, has anybody else ever had a problem with the auto box on a 3rd Gen???

Hi there. correct me if i am wrong but the only place it could leak from is where the tail shaft goes into the tranmission. There should be a seal in the hole shouldnt cost that much for a seal.. i have never dont a surf but have worked on sports cars.... all you need to do is undo the for bolts that connect the shaft to the diff then pull the shaft out... use a screw driver to pop the old one out and find something that is not sharp and is the diameter of the seal to tap the new seal in. then you just have to do the tail shaft back up and do the drain plug to get rid of the old oil and top it up with new oil. the refill hole is at the side and should be on the left if you look towards the engine.
    have a look at www.hiluxsurf.asn.au

its another good resourceful website. to help you with repairing your surf.
    cheers

Comment

sorry the website is toyotasurf.asn.au

Comment

I agree with you, but the whole underside is wet with oil, even by the engine sump guard!!! Kinda think it is a line or the rad leaking...

Comment

It could be one of the pipes to the oil cooler cracked. Had that happen on a Granada once and the smoke trail down the M1 was something to behold - at least the police thought so
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Auto Transmission.

Hi,
            Your report "the whole of the underside is wet with oil" sounds like this could be start of head gasket failure and maybe not a gearbox fault at all....please give more info on recent power differences from engine and any unusual smoke ?

Uplander

Comment

I just took it to a mechanic, and its def the autobox, not engine. Its leaking from the bell housing, and it is trans fluid. He is gonna take it apart and give me a quote. OUCH already... Well we would buy these expensive toys...

Comment

Originally posted by usafric
                I just took it to a mechanic, and its def the autobox, not engine. Its leaking from the bell housing, and it is trans fluid. He is gonna take it apart and give me a quote. OUCH already... Well we would buy these expensive toys...
                It could be a seal in the torque convertor, or most likely a input shaft seal on the gearbox.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hopefully nothing too expensive. It will be down for just over a week.. Will update after I get it back...

Comment

Update.. OUCH... OUCH... just paid 600 quid for my gearbox leak. The torque converter had spun on the bushing. Total cost was for removal/replacement of the box, fixing the bushing, rebuilt torque converter, and bench checking it before it went bvack into the truck. Runs OK now. So no new toys for me for a while...

Comment

Working...
                    X