lose wheel washers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lose wheel washers?

just cleaned the surf (dont hit me trev lol) and spotted the washers between the nuts on the wheels and the wheel is loose am i rite in thinking this isnt good... i'm thinking of taking it into a tyre place tomorrow but dunno what they would charge just for looking at it,

there is about 1mm of play in the washer between the back of the nut and the front of the wheel its the same on every nut on every wheel (except spare wich is a different alloy as well...),

Have you got a picture of it? I've never seen washers on a wheel nut. Not April 1st is it?

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
      just cleaned the surf (dont hit me trev lol) and spotted the washers between the nuts on the wheels and the wheel is loose am i rite in thinking this isnt good... i'm thinking of taking it into a tyre place tomorrow but dunno what they would charge just for looking at it,

there is about 1mm of play in the washer between the back of the nut and the front of the wheel its the same on every nut on every wheel (except spare wich is a different alloy as well...),
      Sounds a bit dodgy to me
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Sounds like this is worth investigating Kev, we will have to take the obvious test equipment...socket set....torque wrench.....buckets of muck yes I saw the reference to car cleaning

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Hehe. And cable ties

Comment

Sounds like you may have the wrong nuts for the alloys you have on and somone has tried to use washers to get over the dodgy fit. I would go very carefully until it is checked. I seem to remember someone on the old forum had a wheel come off on the motorway when the studs sheared.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

You might find the shaft on the nut is longer than the wheel is thick, this is why the washer is loose. You need the measure the thinkness of the the wheel mounting face and make sure its thicker than the nuts.

Use more washers to pack it out for now, or trim a little off the nut but you need to make sure all the nuts/washers are snug.

You've still got 5 others!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i havent tony lol its every nut on every wheel!

Comment

trev can ur phone acept mms messages? i have 2 pics of it on my phone (camrea battery is flat)

Comment

The standard Toyota Alloys use what is called a sleeve nut, this has a washer that sits on the face of the wheel, and other wheels use a dome nut which has a taper.

So I assume that you have non standard wheels with standard Toyota nuts, not a good idea as they only go on a few threads.

See here for more info.
                    http://www.trackstore.co.uk/shop%20frame.html

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                      The standard Toyota Alloys use what is called a sleeve nut, this has a washer that sits on the face of the wheel, and other wheels use a dome nut which has a taper.
                      My alloys are standard Toyota (94 2nd Gen) and the nuts are taper - sounds a convincing theory though Andy.

kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
                        My alloys are standard Toyota (94 2nd Gen) and the nuts are taper - sounds a convincing theory though Andy.

kev
                        They are sleeve nuts on my 16 inch wheels, will take pics tomorrow when its light.

Comment

heres the pics of it, and yes that is the same nut twice,
                          Attached Files

Comment

took it to natinol tires and they checked it for free and said it was fine,

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
                              took it to natinol tires and they checked it for free and said it was fine,
                              ???????? if the washers are moving, the wheel isn't clamped, the nuts may be tight cos they are touching the hub, but the wheel can still slide up and down on the nuts!
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X