This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD Question

Picked up the Surf yesterday at last, I'm the proud owner of a L reg 3.0 litre SSRX Ltd manual.
    Having never driven a 4 wheel drive before except on holiday when I killed a Suzuki I am a little puzzled.
    On the drive selection I have L4, N and H.
    I have read posts on the other forum but they always mention H4 Not H.
    Could anyone please tell me what each are used for.
    I have read that 4wd and hard surfaces is not an ideal situation but our driveway is very steep, and I had some wheelspin while reversing out this morning...... surely using 4wd on a hard surface for less than 20 yards won't cause a problem... or will it ?
    [COLOR=yellow]Ditch[/COLOR]
    3.0 L SSRX Ltd Manual 1994 (MINE)
    2.4 L SSRX 1993 Manual (hers)

You'll need the lever in H for most driving, then the push button to get H4WD, N is neutral, no drive, L4 is low range high traction.

If you don't turn pulling off the drive, it won't hurt, but any steering on tarmac will bind the tranny making getting out of 4WD hard, and put strain on the drive train.

On tarmac in 4WD, you can actaully lock the drive train right up, stopping the car or stalling the motor, on full lock.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the info Tony,
      After getting up the drive and along the towpath ( I live by the side of a canal ) I have to get over a humpback bridge that takes us over the canal.... it's a really sharp left hand turn and very steep that the Surf only just has enough room to swing round without taking out my front right light.

Second 4wd question is .... is going over the bridge in 4wd a no no ? because the wheels are spinning again, can't afford to change the tyers every week !!
      [COLOR=yellow]Ditch[/COLOR]
      3.0 L SSRX Ltd Manual 1994 (MINE)
      2.4 L SSRX 1993 Manual (hers)

Comment

If its loose or wet, no problem, if its dry tarmac/concrete you may get into trouble if it binds up.

Sure you havn't got a lead right foot!

Shame you havn't got manual locking front hubs on Surfs, like the UK pickups, could put it in L4 and not enguage the hubs and it still be in rear wheel drive for traction. You could fit a switch on one of the ADD (Automatic Disconnecting Diff, it works gadget that connects the front axle shafts when in 4WD) solonoid wires, then switching it off would disable the ADD, letting you use L4 with only rear wheel drive.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X