kzn185 reluctant start from cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kzn185 reluctant start from cold

went to start truck one morning and it took nearly 15 seconds fast turning to start.
    when at running temp it starts on the key. normally it starts on the key even in winter.

so far
    new heaters, old ones were working anyhow
    charged battery
    about to change fuel filter

its almost as if the fuel is draining back to the tank after a while and the pump is having to prime the system before the fuel reaches the injectors.

any ideas anyone?
    pulling my hair here.

Does it also occasionally cut out completely?

If so, get the ECU tested for fault/old/leaky capacitors.

If not, how about the starter motor? I had to refurbish mine, RT do a kit.

Cheers

Comment

Also try cycling the ignition 3 or 4 times, and leaving in in the ON position a few seconds longer than after the glow plug light goes out before re-cycling. Plugs might be taking longer to get up to heat or plug timing circuit could have gone out (ECU caps). If it starts on the button after you know it's plug circuit related. If not then you might need to check the fuel filter and lines for leaks. I think I might be right in saying a lot of people have had issues with the fuel non return line also, and have had to remove it as it sometimes doesn't flow/open correctly, but that might show more in being sluggish not running at all.
      RZN185 1" lift, 32s - KZN130 2" lift, 32s

Comment

Just had this problem! Check the return fuel hose from the injectors to the injector pump. My connection at the pump wasn’t tight even with the hose clip fully tightened so I cut about 15mm off the hose so it had decent hose for the new connector to tighten up and problem solved!

Comment

Smoke on startup ?
          If whiteish then possibly a water contaminant through a cracked head or gasket, blackish indicates unburnt diesel, or possibly glow plug issues.

If it's lots of cranking then fires and normal smoke its a fuel delivery issue, common issue is the o'ring goes on the fuel primer pump and this allows diesel to drain back to tank, or as described above any of the hoses becomes loose. Best method to test is to re-pressurize the fuel system with the fuel filter pressure primer pump on top of the fuel filter before that first crank of the motor in the morning - if it starts much better then likely you have a leak somewhere that is allowing the filter or fuel to drain under gravity back to the tank over night, and the pump has nothing to push through straight away when cranking.

Final issue I know of is the caps in the ECU - as they fail they cannot hold the right values for the start sensors. Cranking the car seems to give them power, and eventually car starts but problem will get worse - to the point where truck wont start even when hot. Capacitors are designed for about 10 years of service, but last about 15 years in these trucks. This requires an ECU rebuild, good idea to do if your truck has never had it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrie View Post
            Smoke on startup ?
            If whiteish then possibly a water contaminant through a cracked head or gasket, blackish indicates unburnt diesel, or possibly glow plug issues.

If it's lots of cranking then fires and normal smoke its a fuel delivery issue, common issue is the o'ring goes on the fuel primer pump and this allows diesel to drain back to tank, or as described above any of the hoses becomes loose. Best method to test is to re-pressurize the fuel system with the fuel filter pressure primer pump on top of the fuel filter before that first crank of the motor in the morning - if it starts much better then likely you have a leak somewhere that is allowing the filter or fuel to drain under gravity back to the tank over night, and the pump has nothing to push through straight away when cranking.

Final issue I know of is the caps in the ECU - as they fail they cannot hold the right values for the start sensors. Cranking the car seems to give them power, and eventually car starts but problem will get worse - to the point where truck wont start even when hot. Capacitors are designed for about 10 years of service, but last about 15 years in these trucks. This requires an ECU rebuild, good idea to do if your truck has never had it done.
            Do you recommend somewhere that I could get an ECU Rebuild done?

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X