yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.0TD Intercooled, Timing Belt Change, anything to look out for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0TD Intercooled, Timing Belt Change, anything to look out for?

Hi Folks,

I'm just about to change the timing belt on my 3rd Gen Surf, though I'm told a very straightforward job, I'm just curious in case anyone has any advice/warnings to heed when doing so.

The manual which is floating around on here somewhere (or the link to it), mentioned about removing the rocker cover, and also the can pulley, surely neither of those are needed??

Thanks, Paul.

no need to do that. i would suggest fitting a new water pump. you will need to remove cam pully if you go for the newer designed water pump so my advise is dont.

Comment

Originally posted by Jameswallace View Post
      no need to do that. i would suggest fitting a new water pump. you will need to remove cam pully if you go for the newer designed water pump so my advise is dont.
      Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. I'm a little confused, the drive to the water pump is not part of the timing belt on the 3rd gen, am I missing something obvious (apart from brains)?

Paul.

Comment

just that its easy to do "while you're there"

Comment

Originally posted by Jameswallace View Post
          just that its easy to do "while you're there"
          Ah okay, thanks James, I was worried that it had some hidden relationship to the timing belt...

The cooling system was overhauled not that long ago (the usual, head, radiator etc) so (I'll leave it be for now, but keep it in mind for the future.

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

its a doddle of a job. you'll realise afterwards it was possible in your sleep!

Comment

It is very straight forward I would say one thing use genuine Toyota belt

Comment

Originally posted by sid1 View Post
                It is very straight forward I would say one thing use genuine Toyota belt
                Thanks James, I've bought the kit from Milner, so genuine plunger, but non genuine belt (but reputable quality- they say)

This one
                https://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota...-tensioner-kit

Paul.

Comment

Gates Belts spring to mind...

18+ Years of Surfs n 10 years later me KZN 130 Spotless it wasn't but Faultless to a "T" it was expired in March 2018....My other replacement Truck is now also faultless to a "T" :-)
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                    Gates Belts spring to mind...
                    As in good..?..... bad..?......

Timing belt now finished, its taken an age as i've had to fit it in around working on the home central heating system, but got an hour free on Saturday, so got on and finished it, even managed to find the two fasteners which dropped down into the bash tray (inaccessible P.I.T.A.!) using a telescopic magnet.

Started the engine with the usual heart-in-mouth, but everything was fine. I'll take the cover back off in a week or so to check everything over.

Out of interest does anyone have torque values for the tightening of the idler retaining bolt, and those for the tensioner please? I was surprised to see no thread locking compound on them to be honest.

Thanks, Paul.

Comment

Gates belts Kits are renoud for their Quality ... do a search !!
                      https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ...ZmiLHbSAQhDcc-

Congratulations on ya timing belt achievement..

18+ Years of Surfs n 10 years later me KZN 130 Spotless it wasn't but Faultless to a "T" it was, expired in March 2018....My other replacement Truck is now also faultless to a "T" :-)
                      Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 7 November 2018, 20:00. Reason: missing info
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                        Gates belts Kits are renoud for their Quality ... do a search !!
                        https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ...ZmiLHbSAQhDcc-

Congratulations on ya timing belt achievement..

18+ Years of Surfs n 10 years later me KZN 130 Spotless it wasn't but Faultless to a "T" it was, expired in March 2018....My other replacement Truck is now also faultless to a "T" :-)
                        Thanks, Yes I was hoping you were suggesting that, Gates, Dayco etc are well regarded belt makers, but sometimes even the best have a howler, and I wasn't sure on your original post in case it was a case of "the only bad belt gates ever made was the 1KZ TE timing belt....................."

Thanks, Paul.

Comment

Working...
                        X