yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold starting in morning ( please bear with me !)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold starting in morning ( please bear with me !)

Help required guys. I am having issues starting from cold in the morning. Once started can turn off and starts first turn straight away and all day. Left overnight and same issue starting, struggles, coughs, white smoke from exhaust, tries and dies then eventually fires up !!. I have changed glow plugs ( all checked before fitting ) relay okay, power to buzz bar okay. I wait for the relay to clunk before attempting to start. I have even bypassed with a temp power/switch to glow plugs just to see and same issue. I am at the point of ruling out glow plugs although I am not sure what else could be causing the issue ?? Any suggestions appreciated guys as I am pulling my hair out.

Any error codes.no sure about the 3ltr but the 2.4 has a temp sensor in the block which controls how long the glowplugs stay on for.

Comment

Split/worn rubber diaphragm in the fuel primer? If split or worn, air can get in allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank overnight. Press the plunger on top of the filter a number of times. If no resistance can be felt after approx 5 pumps then the primer isn't holding a vacuum. The white smoke on a cold engine is unburnt fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Split/worn rubber diaphragm in the fuel primer? If split or worn, air can get in allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank overnight. Press the plunger on top of the filter a number of times. If no resistance can be felt after approx 5 pumps then the primer isn't holding a vacuum. The white smoke on a cold engine is unburnt fuel.
        My Immediate thoughts as well, fuel pressure/feed decaying over time. I think the lift pump is working, as you can get it to fire eventually, but there is a leak somewhere which is causing pressure/feed to drop off.

Paul.

Comment

+1 to fuel primer. Check the screw is tight on the top of the plunger of the fuel filter

Comment

Many thanks guys will certainly check as advised. FYI another point to note I have been away with the truck this week and I have noticed with a fuel tank full it does not have an issue starting in the morning but about a quarter full struggles. ( been full most of week, the two days when about a quarter full in the morning struggled as described ) Of course could be a coincidence !!

Comment

i never let mine get below a 1/4 as it seems the last 1/4 on my gauge only means about 8 litres in the tank!

Comment

I've had similar issues, and fuel primer replacement solved it (gen 2, 3.0 td auto)

Also have a friend with a 2.4 gen 2, who had similar problem, and fuel primer replacement sovled it
                Thanks
                Rob Watson (forum owner and admin)

Comment

whats the difference between a manual and automatic injector pump,i have the 2.4 injector pump and also the one that goes on the filter

Comment

Originally posted by Jameswallace View Post
                    i never let mine get below a 1/4 as it seems the last 1/4 on my gauge only means about 8 litres in the tank!
                    Same as mine! It could be it's just out of fuel as mine will struggle to start with very low fuel but it'll run ok once started (but not for long)
                    Also have you checked the coolant level? Mine used to smoke white and chugg when the head cracked....

Comment

Working...
                    X