Diff or Wheel Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff or Wheel Bearings

I have a noise on the rear of my 96 Surf 3Ltr, only comes on when I take my foot of the throttle (a bit like an overrun noise). It sounds very much like a worn bearing. Any advise would be helpfull.
    Cheers Jim

Originally posted by jamesbee
    I have a noise on the rear of my 96 Surf 3Ltr, only comes on when I take my foot of the throttle (a bit like an overrun noise). It sounds very much like a worn bearing. Any advise would be helpfull.
    Cheers Jim
    Can u explain the noise ... grinding/squealing/banging
    Jack up the back end and check your wheel bearings (top to bottom wobble test) Thats the easy test.
    Check your prop and grease up the nipples, check your gear box, transfer and diff oils. Plus check your suspension arms/bushes for free play.
    If they all check out in may be in the diff or box.
    BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Cheers Jim
      Jack up the back axle, chock the front wheels and release the hand brake.

Turn the rear wheels by hand and listen/feel for a rumble. If you can jack both rear wheels at once you could even try running them on the engine- sometimes the rumble of a worn bearing is more apparent at higher rotational speed than hand turning (just make sure the car is secure!).

Try pulling the wheels in and out along the axis of the axle. If there's more than 1-2mm movement suspect bearing wear.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by Grimreeper
        Can u explain the noise ... grinding/squealing/banging
        Jack up the back end and check your wheel bearings (top to bottom wobble test) Thats the easy test.
        Check your prop and grease up the nipples, check your gear box, transfer and diff oils. Plus check your suspension arms/bushes for free play.
        If they all check out in may be in the diff or box.

Noise is a definite 'whishshshshsh', there is no rumbling or low pitch whirring, the noise appears to becoming from the rear axle. Have checked all oil levels, all OK, will try what you suggest regarding wheel bearings, prop shaft, etc.
        Cheers Jim

Comment

the noise

Noise is a definite 'whishshshshsh', there is no rumbling or low pitch whirring, the noise appears to becoming from the rear axle. Have checked all oil levels, all OK, will try what you suggest regarding wheel bearings, prop shaft, etc.
          Cheers Jim
          hi there!
          did you found what's wrong?
          Mine does the same noise now...
          Thanks!
          Jose Carlos (Charles)
          "Everybody need something. I think I need a beer..."

Comment

Originally posted by TugaRunner
            hi there!
            did you found what's wrong?
            Mine does the same noise now...
            Thanks!
            Hi CHARLES
            Just noticed your enquiry, if you still have that noise, I had to replace the rear diff.

Comment

Working...
            X