Heat plugs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat plugs ?

On the first start of the day, the engine turns for quite a while before firing up, usually accompanied by a puff of smoke from the exhaust.
    All subsequent start-ups are trouble/delay free.

First thoughts (at my local Garage) are that its the heat plugs.
    They checked these and they appear to be OK.
    Of course it could be the relay.

I have two questions please;

Does anyone have any ideas, before I get them to change the heat plug and the relay ?

The Garage were surprised that I didn't have a "Light Glow" on my instrument panel, to indicate that the vehicle was "warming up".
    Should there be one, has the bulb gone ?

Any comments would be appreciated.
    All technical comments noted above are from the Garage, I know nothing about most things, including diesel engines.

Originally posted by Cranfield
    On the first start of the day, the engine turns for quite a while before firing up, usually accompanied by a puff of smoke from the exhaust.
    All subsequent start-ups are trouble/delay free.

First thoughts (at my local Garage) are that its the heat plugs.
    They checked these and they appear to be OK.
    Of course it could be the relay.

I have two questions please;

Does anyone have any ideas, before I get them to change the heat plug and the relay ?

The Garage were surprised that I didn't have a "Light Glow" on my instrument panel, to indicate that the vehicle was "warming up".
    Should there be one, has the bulb gone ?

Any comments would be appreciated.
    All technical comments noted above are from the Garage, I know nothing about most things, including diesel engines.
    I have a 1995 3lt and there is a pre-heat light on the dash. From what you say it does sound like the pre-heat is not working properly.
    There is an on-line manual which has all the info you will need to check out the pre-heat system at the below URL:
    http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

I have attached an engine wiring diagram which may help to check out the wiring/relays etc. Not sure if your engine is exactly the same 0n a 1991 but it must be somewhere near.
    Attached Files
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Thanks Silversurfer, I appreciate the help.
      Could you please email me the wiring diagram at normal size, the thumbnail distorts badly, when I try to enlarge it ?

I have amended my "profile", as my Surf is 1993, not 1991, as I previously had.

Comment

Thanks Silversurfer, I appreciate the help.
        Could you please email me the wiring diagram at normal size, the thumbnail distorts badly, when I try to enlarge it ?

I have amended my "profile", as my Surf is 1993, not 1991, as I previously had.
        Hi Cranfield

Check your Email

I have sent you the diagram as a Word document - hope it is a bit clearer

Comment

Silversurfer, I haven't received the email yet, could you please resend it.
          The email addy in my profile is good ( briansmith@cranfield.fslife.co .uk).

I don't appear to have a preheat light on my dashboard (unless the bulb is gone), where abouts exactly is it ?

This morning I tried turning the ignition key to the first point and counting to ten, she fired first time without any accompanying smoke.
          I obviously haven't been allowing the preheat time.
          In the milder weather its obviously not a problem, but in the extreme cold in the last few months it becomes an issue.

Something else I have learnt.

Comment

Heres a pic of the dash layout
            Attached Files
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

you'll hear the relay click off when the timer switches the plugs off... just wait for that and it should start straight away... either that or do a slow count to 5 before starting, with ignition on.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Silversurfer, I haven't received the email yet, could you please resend it.
                The email addy in my profile is good ( briansmith@cranfield.fslife.co .uk).

I don't appear to have a preheat light on my dashboard (unless the bulb is gone), where abouts exactly is it ?

This morning I tried turning the ignition key to the first point and counting to ten, she fired first time without any accompanying smoke.
                I obviously haven't been allowing the preheat time.
                In the milder weather its obviously not a problem, but in the extreme cold in the last few months it becomes an issue.

Something else I have learnt.
                Hi Cranfield

I had sent the file via the Email address on the Forum so it must have got hung-up there. I have just re-sent to the address you have just given. Let me know if it is OK.

Silversurfer

Comment

Folks thanks for all the help and Silversurfer, the email has been received OK.

Comment

Working...
                  X