high low or nutral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high low or nutral?

what should i have the 2nd box in when driving (round town, motrway ect)? High low or nutral? i think its in high atm and auto deals with the main gears,

also anyone had any probs with a lose battery connection? any easy cures? (b4 i go back and have a word with the place i bought it? (well its got a full warranty so i might as well use it :P)

HI, The small lever should be in 'H', or pulled back towards you, with 4x4 button off.

As for the battery connection, I used a piece of copper pipe about an inch long, flattend it and used it to take up the slack in the clamp.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 6 March 2005, 22:22.

Comment

thanks, thats were it is atm (4x4 was only on when i took it on the beach near here for some fun lol), just wanted to check i wasent going to screw ne thing up by having it in that position, (first 4x4 i have owned)

Comment

Putting it Low automatically puts in 4wd, which is a no-no for part time 4wd systems like 1st and 2nd gen Surfs on hard surfaces.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

yeah i have read about the no center diff stuff on gen 2's (think thats what mine is, its first reg in japan was the end of 1993),

then again i have had the wheels spinning on dry warm tarmac lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
            what should i have the 2nd box in when driving (round town, motrway ect)? High low or nutral? i think its in high atm and auto deals with the main gears,

also anyone had any probs with a lose battery connection? any easy cures? (b4 i go back and have a word with the place i bought it? (well its got a full warranty so i might as well use it :P)
            By 2nd box I am guessing you mean the transfer lever - which should be in High with 4wd button off for all dry tarmac work.
            If it is in neutral you won't have any drive

Take off the battery connection and clean the connection and battery post with wire brush or similar, grease with vaseline and replace with new nut and bolt if necessary. If the terminal is badly corroded and worn you can get new one from most motor factors, Halfords etc. where you can cut off the old one strip approx 1" of insulation back on the cables and the new terminal is screwed on to the cable. If the post is badly worn away you may have to get some packing such as brass/copper strip or it can be built back up with lead or solder if you are handy with a small flame gun..
            Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

thats the thing nothing is corroded its just a bit loose (enough so some times it rides up and causes a gap then it wont start... thought it was fuel probs at first till i rembered the noise my mums pug 306 diesel made when it had a flat battery), tried to tighten it today but it just wouldnt... might get some copper to pack it with, only thing i am worrying about is that when it rides up that it might not be charging the battery... so eventually it could cause a flat battery...

Comment

Working...
              X