New Toyota head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Toyota head

I have ordered a brand new genuine Toyota head for my 94 3.0TD surf.
    I fitted a recon head from a well known head rebuilder 17 months and 10,000 gentle miles ago. This head cracked.
    The rebuild head had a number of weld repairs and the area that cracked had been welded, i assume all rebuilt heads have been welded.
    I wonder if the new Toyota head has been improved in any way from the 94 head ?.
    I also bought: Gaskets, water pump, bolts, thurmostat, etc and recored the rad. I hope this is the end of the head issues.
    I will be on the road for St Pat,s day.
    I also want to dump the "old tech" engine driven fan as discussed in an earlier post and replace with a twin fan setup from a breakers.
    Do new Landcruisers and surfs have electric or engine driven fans ?

I dont know about new ones but the VX Landcruisers from the 90's use a engine driven fan with no auxilary ones i think.... Lucky??
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by patzx12
      I fitted a recon head from a well known head rebuilder 17 months and 10,000 gentle miles ago. This head cracked.
      The rebuild head had a number of weld repairs and the area that cracked had been welded, i assume all rebuilt heads have been welded.
      I wonder if the new Toyota head has been improved in any way from the 94 head ?.
      I also bought: Gaskets, water pump, bolts, thurmostat, etc and recored the rad. I hope this is the end of the head issues.
      I also want to dump the "old tech" engine driven fan as discussed in an earlier post and replace with a twin fan setup from a breakers.
      The consensus of opinion here on this forum (gosh!) is that welded (or stitched) recon heads are as good as useless, and on 2.4L engines just as likely to fail for the same reasons as the original Toyota one.

With 3.0L engine there might be some argument for using a recon- but I think you've done the right thing this time fitting a new head. The 2.4L head has had a slight re-design to improve 'lifetime'- but a new 3.0L head ought to the same as the original. Still- once fitted should be good for a few miles.

It's unusual for a 3.0L head to damage this way- any ideas why the original failed? It's a good idea to make sure the rest of the cooling system is in tip-top condition too. I'd be looking to see if the viscous fan, radiator, thermostat, water pump, rad cap, etc are functioning properly- i.e. start looking for the CAUSE of of any overheating, before driving too far on the new head.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by patzx12
        As a welder of aluminium I personally would never fit a recon head that had been welded. As due to the nature of aluminium the welding process produces stresses that depending on the number and severity of fractures may or may not produce a permanent repair. But to be fair I expect a recon. head would have been repaired to a high standared.

Comment

[QUOTE=sniper]As a welder of aluminium I personally would never fit a recon head that had been welded. As due to the nature of aluminium the welding[QUOTE]

Heads are cast and its not a good idea to fit a repaired, stitched or recon head to as previously said.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
            I dont know about new ones but the VX Landcruisers from the 90's use a engine driven fan with no auxilary ones i think.... Lucky??
            Mine has a engine driven viscous fan and an auxiliary fan in front of the aircon rad.

My Automatic Surf has an additional electric fan in front of the main radiator as well as the two on the aircon rad.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X