Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Advice required

Hi Guys.

am a new fan of the surf. I have been looking for a 4 wheel drive for some time. I have test driven Discoveries, Pajeros etc but never a Surf. I have always been put off by the fact that they are based upon a truck! I like the thought of the space provided in the car, The fact that a 3.0 diesel is available and that they are different to most cars on the road. Are there any common faults on the surf? What sort of power output does the 3.0 put out in the form of BHP and Torque? I do a lot of motorway travelling. Is this going to be a pain, will they cruise happily at 70 - 80 MPH without deafening me or killing my wallet?

I know a lot of these questions are subjective but if you ask a dealer you only get the answer that he wants you have.

I am looking for a new shape 3.0 Surf.

Many thanks

Rob

ROB the SURF is the most comfortable 4x4 i have ever driven its very much like driving a car. NOISE what noise. The 3.0 SURF will cruise very quietly at 80mph. The 3.0 has no known common faults besides the normal things you find on a car Brake pads etc. PARTS are available from www.milneroffroad.com
    & they deliver Tyres arent expensive either cheaper than youre average saloon.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

They handle the motorway driving really easily as Mark says. This is the first 4x4 I have had and just love it to bits. Recently had the joys or not of driving

1.Isuzu LWB...think a tank would be faster on pickup
      2. Discovery..Backed up the Disco with a Horse Trailer on recently and the turning circle was Joke!..certainly would avoid buying one of these for this alone!!!

Surfs...drive more like your family car, more turning radius on the front wheels than a Disco.....and more utilitarian than other vehicles if required
      Gaz

Comment

I was a LR person for a long time but got fed up with unreliability and wanted something else. I went to Knowsley last year to see what Surfs could do in the rough stuff and I was very impressed, so much so I went out and bought one!

The good things about Surfs, (in my opinion) is the road holding (they don't lean like other 4x4's), the build, (it was actually thought about!), the quality, the engine, (3ltr) and it's towing ability. There's probably more but I've just started on a cracking bottle of Shiraz and can't be bothered thinking!

I went for a drive in a 2.8 swb Paj the other day and wasn't impressed, I thought with a 2.8 tdi & swb it may be nimble...... no & no!

I think the only 4x4 I'd swap it for at the moment is a brand new Rangie 4.4 V8, (just come back from Gaydon test driving some!), but then I don't have 60 odd grand in the bank so that's out of the question.

I say buy a Surf, 'cos they're different and all the above + more........

Cheers...... hic!
        Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

I had a disco for 3 years before replacing it with a 3.0L Surf.

The disco put up with a lot of abuse, was great off road and a joy to drive.

How ever after owning the surf for a year and a half now I would not go back despite slight worse fuel consumtion (25ish instead of 27ish), a drivers seat I don't really get on (I'm only 5'3") and some minor overheating problems I would not go back.

The surf is possibly better off road, easier to drive, has a more useful load space and is more distinctive.

Comment

I travel all lot to car shows around the country and wouldn't swap my Surf for anything, even after last car was a Jaguar. Very quiet. In one garage when i drove in, the guy said to me that it must cost a fortune in petrol and was very surprised when i told him it was diesel.
            Hope you find a good one at right price.
            Philip
            Still Searching,
            Dick Whittington

Comment

we have owned r first surf for 10years ln130 apart from the head problems once sorted we had 9years of great driving we enjoyed that much we imported gen 3 3.0td ssr-x power an drivablity is great get 1 m8 u will not regret it my uncle is a pro mach he has worked on the disc to be truthfull rover should have made there cars without a bonnet cause they r SCRAPE!!

Comment

Many thanks for your input. Does any one know the power output of the 3.0 diesel?

Comment

Originally posted by RobBarwell
                  Many thanks for your input. Does any one know the power output of the 3.0 diesel?
                  The 3lt 1KZTE is rated at 130bhp with 289NM of torque @ 2000rpm
                  Last edited by Silversurfer; 28 February 2005, 19:12.
                  Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Just a bit more

Yep, the Surf is a brilliant truck. The 3ltr is a much better drive than the 2.4, and it is reliable too. I love mine, and I have owned both. In fact the Surf is the only vehicle I have owned two of in my life, and I am not a young man!

The 3ltr is very easy to drive, spacious and comfortable, and motorway cruising is a doddle. I have just racked up 1400kms driving around France in rain, sun, snow and ice and it just ploughs on regardless. Tons of room in the back too, no more shoe horning the bags in, just throw it all in and close the hatch.

I can't rate them highly enough, and it's the only thing that I have driven round France that makes the froggies stop and give way when they should do!

This forum alone is worth owning one for, it is an absolute goldmine of help and information and is arguably the best forum on the web. Hope this helps to sway you, it really is a a great truck and you will never regret getting one!

Rob G

Comment

Picked up my 1996 gen 3 this weekend.

Having owned landovers series 1, 11a, 111, and a 90 and a Range Rover Vogue I will NOT buy another.

I have also owned since those dark days.

Lucida 2.4D 4x4 (crap), Gen2 3.0D 96 surf (Almost Heaven), Prado 3.0D. (Ok but too 'Nice')

The gen 3 has very similar (if not the same) running gear to the Prado (Colorado in UK). There is no way I would call this a truck. Go and drive everything else. Pajero Challenger Ranger JEEP whatever. Then drive a surf

NUFF said

Jimbo
                      Women Drive Prado's. Men Drive Surf's. Everything else just gets in the way.

Comment

I too am thinking of a surf, a neighbour of my parents drives one & I've always liked the look of it, a lot of practicality without loosing touch with reality (a la Mitsu L200's)

One thing I wasn't too sure of from one I sat in today is the driving position, it was almost sports car in terms of the seat, leg, wheel & pedal position. This was a 93 SSR-X (I think) and I was a little put off by this, although I must stress I did not test drive it.

When people talk about generation 1,2,3 what model years do these run from & to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan M
                          When people talk about generation 1,2,3 what model years do these run from & to?
                          MK1 up to 1989
                          MK2 1990-1995
                          MK3 1996-on (not sure if we're at MK4 yet).

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                            MK1 up to 1989
                            MK2 1990-1995
                            MK3 1996-on (not sure if we're at MK4 yet).

Nevillef
                            Thanks, what I've seen so far are gen 2's then.

Comment

yeah Gen2s are most common - seats are low down more like a car than in say a land cruiser etc etc
                              I tow all the time with a 2.4, a 3.0 would be handy but I just cant afford it - the 2.4 copes well enough considering its size.
                              Im towing a 1500kgs caravan on Monday for a friend
                              Tim
                              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                              X