Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wobble between 40 and 50mph

Hi everyone
    just had the surf a few weeks now and just noticed today that when you get between 40 and 50 mph the steering wheel starts to vibrate.Once you`ve reached 50 it stops as quick as it started.
    It drives like its on rails the rest of the time.It came with 12 months test so i`d be a bit suspect if some steering bushes suddenly wanted replacing.
    I`d be greatful for any idears
    oh yeah it`s 1994 on an M plate
    cheers
    Stella Artois

Did you buy private or from a dealer ? If you got it from a dealer its there problem as you have a 3 month warranty by LAW.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

It came from a dealer.But i was hopeing if the problem pointed to something not to serious than i`d have a go myself.Its all that hassel of trailing to the garage, getting a lift home,getting a lift back again-you know what i mean.If i can`t find anything though i`ll have too!!
      Stella Artois

Comment

Ok fair comment the first thing to check is the balancing of the wheels.
        Get your tyre place to check the tyres over to ensure they are round as they can go out of shape due to being stood at the docks in japan for ages.
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Get your tyre place to check the tyres over to ensure they are round as they can go out of shape due to being stood at the docks in japan for ages.
          Right i`ll start there.

I`d never of thought about how long the motor had been standing.
          thanks
          Stella Artois

Comment

Also check wheels for play in the bearings. If tyres are the problem you can get a lot of info here generally cheaper than KWIKFIT etc.
            http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

Whilst they are balancing the tyres get them to check the tracking too.
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

99% chance that it is the wheels/tyres. Even 'pulling' left or right will usually turn out to be wheel/tyre related.

Comment

Just got back from my local tyre shop.
                  Tyres completely out of balance.He put 95g on one side alone.
                  Just been for a blast,different motor altogether.My minds at rest now
                  Stella Artois

Comment

Working...
                  X